Scotstown impressed in Monaghan SFC decider.
Scotstown impressed in Monaghan SFC decider.

Monaghan SFC Final: Scotstown survive tricky test

Monaghan SFC Final


By Colm Shalvey at St Tiernach's Park

Scotstown retained their Monaghan SFC title with a hard-earned win over Truagh in Clones. Scotstown were pushed all the way by their near-neighbours as they won their seventh county championship in the space of nine years, with a goal deep into added time by Conor McCarthy finally ending Truagh’s challenge.

Kieran Hughes kicked three superb points in a Man-of-the-Match performance for the 2018 Ulster Club finalists, who came from four down early on after a lightning-fast start by Truagh, who were left to rue a couple of close calls from goal chances in the second half.

Points by Christopher McAnenly, Cormac McKenna, Gary Mohan and Mark McQuaid saw Truagh get just the start they needed in their first final in 20 years. Scotstown remained patient, however, and despite taking 11 minutes to open their account through a Shane Carey free, they called on all their know-how to draw level by half-time.

Kieran Hughes landed a brace of fine points, while Paul Sherlock, Dónal Morgan and Rory Beggan were also on the scoresheet. Adam Treanor kept Truagh’s tally rising with a couple of well-taken points from either wing and they went in on level terms at 0-7 apiece.

Ryan Mohan and Adam Treanor helped Truagh regain the lead after half-time, only for Scotstown to slowly but surely make their experience count, as Kieran and Darren Hughes, Conor McCarthy and Francis Maguire edged them ahead for the first time. Truagh had finished strongly in their quarter-final and semi-final wins, but a Gary Mohan free was their only score of the last 20 minutes here, with the forward seeing one goal attempt roll agonisingly wide after Scotstown had lost possession, with Beggan roving forward.

Beggan converted his second 50-metre free for Scotstown, who pulled away with a point from sub Matthew Maguire and an audacious late strike from McCarthy, who spotted Caolán McGee off his line before lobbing the ball in for the game’s only goal.

Scotstown will now meet the winners of the Ulster Club preliminary round between St. Eunan’s (Donegal) and Glen (Derry) in next month’s quarter-final.

Scorers for Scotstown: Conor McCarthy 1-1 (0-1f); Kieran Hughes 0-3; Rory Beggan 0-2f; Shane Carey 0-2f; Darren Hughes 0-1; Dónal Morgan 0-1; Paul Sherlock 0-1; Francis Maguire 0-1; Matthew Maguire 0-1.

Scorers for Truagh: Adam Treanor 0-3; Christopher McAnenly 0-2f; Gary Mohan 0-2 (1f, 1 ’45); Cormac McKenna 0-1; Ryan Mohan 0-1; Mark McQuaid 0-1.

Scotstown: Rory Beggan; Michael Meehan, Ryan O’Toole; Dónal Morgan; Jack McDevitt, Darren Hughes, Damien McArdle; Gavin McPhillips, Kieran Hughes; Mícheál McCarville, Shane Carey (Capt.), Paul Sherlock; Orin Heaphey, Conor McCarthy, Francis Maguire.

Subs: Matthew Maguire for Heaphey (19); Ross McKenna for McPhillips (44); Jason Carey for F Maguire (53); Seán Mohan for McDevitt (62).

Truagh: Caolán McGee; John McCarron, Eoghan Kelly, Aidan Coyle; Louis Kelly; Mark McQuaid, Ronan Boyle, Cormac McKenna; Ryan Mohan, James McKenna (Capt.); Adam Treanor, Christopher McAnenly, Paudie McKenna; Gary Mohan, Oran McElligott.

Subs: Aaron Mohan for L Kelly, Christopher McKenna for McElligott (both 46); Shane Treanor for McQuaid (53).

Referee: Jason McAndrew (Ballybay