JP Rooney, Naomh Mairtin, and David Lennon, St Mochta's, during the Louth SFC Final.
JP Rooney, Naomh Mairtin, and David Lennon, St Mochta's, during the Louth SFC Final.

Louth SFC Final: Naomh Mairtin prevail

Louth SFC Final


By Dan Bannon at Ardee

County star Sam Mulroy was at his very best on Louth county final day in Pairc Mhuire, Ardee as his side ran out convincing winners over St. Mochta’s in what was a one sided spectacle.

Mulroy was to the core of everything good that came the reigning champions way, playing the captain’s role in settling his side down, punishing the opposition at every opportunity and pushing the final beyond the first time finalists with a penalty in the final quarter.

His finishing tally of 1-7 on the day was enough to see him top scorer in the Louth championship overall ahead of opposite number 14 Declan Byrne. Byrne landed two early free’s in the first time finalists best period in the opening quarter.

However a black card for a foul on Mulroy by midfielder Danny Kindlon just before the second half water break would be a key moment in the showpiece. With one point in the game and momentum swaying towards the Louth Village side they simply never recovered from that point onwards.

Mulroy landed three of the next six unanswered scores along with a brace from Wayne Campbell made it 0-8 to 0-2 at half time. Mochta’s chances were hanging on by a thread and with no scores from play on the day they had to rely on two more free’s from Declan Byrne upon the resumption.

There would be no comeback as Fergal Reel’s side got the match up’s right with Conor Morgan subduing the former Carlton AFL player Ciarán Byrne all afternoon. This would be Reel’s sixth Louth title after winning four with Paddy Keenan’s St Patrick’s in the last decade.

A well taken penalty from Mulroy after he was fouled removed all doubt from the contest with minutes to go.

In response to the major, both Byrne brothers pointed free’s to provide the scoreline with gloss. Massive disappointment to the Mochtas after they stole Louth people’s hearts with their magnificent run to the final.

The showpiece finished on a downcast note for the already despondent Mochta’s side after substitute Stephen McCooey would leave the field on an ambulance after a heavy collision with Mick Fanning, Fanning would see red.

Despite the flat ending, Sam Mulroy would lift the Joe Ward Cup to joyous Naomh Mairtin supporters for the first time, having been denied the opportunity last season with covid restrictions.

Scorers for Naomh Mairtin: Sam Mulroy 1-7 (1-0pen, 0-6f, 0-145’), Conor Whelan 0-3 (0-1f, 0-1m), Wayne Campbell and John Clutterbuck 0-2 each, Jack Murphy 0-1.

Scorers for St. Mochta’s: Declan Byrne 0-6 (0-6f), Ciarán Byrne 0-1 (0-1f)

NAOMH MAIRTIN: Craig Lynch; Conor Morgan, Thomas Sullivan, Conor Healy; John Clutterbuck, Seán Healy, Mark Whelan; Wayne Campbell, Evan Whelan; Jack Murphy, Eoghan Callaghan, Stephen Campbell; Conor Whelan, Sam Mulroy, JP Rooney.

Subs: Bryan McQuillan for Rooney (42), Val Leddy for Murphy (53), Mick Fanning for Morgan (54), Connor Smyth for Callaghan (56), Eoin Wright for Clutterbuck (60).

ST MOCHTAS: Jason Callan; Andrew English, Ben Goss Kieran, David Lennon; Liam Lawlor, Conor Garland, Oisin Callan; Gerry Garland, Danny Kindlon; Jamie Farrell, Philip Englishby, Craig Lennon; Darren McMahon; Declan Byrne, Ciarán Byrne.

Subs: Stephen McCooey for O Callan (35), Ciaran McMahon for Farrell (46), Cormac Smyth for Goss Kieran (53), Owen Lennon for English (59), Eamonn O’Neill for McCooey (66).

REFEREE: Derek Ryan (Sean O’Mahony’s)