Ryan O'Toole nd Emmet Moloney of UCD celebrate following the Sigerson Cup Quarter Final win over St Mary's.
Ryan O'Toole nd Emmet Moloney of UCD celebrate following the Sigerson Cup Quarter Final win over St Mary's.

Electric Ireland Sigerson Cup round-up

Electric Ireland Sigerson Cup

Relegation play-off:

IT Tralee 2-16 Athlone IT 2-8


DCU Dóchas Éireann 7-14 Queens University Belfast 0-9

University College Dublin 2-10 St Mary's University College 2-6

Letterkenny Institute of Technology 1-14 Institute of Technology Sligo 1-8

IT Carlow 3-9 UCC 0-14

Reigning champions UCC are out of the Sigerson after IT Carlow claimed a brilliant 3-9 to 0-14 quarter-final victory on their home patch.

It sets up a semi-final meeting with surprise package Letterkenny IT while there will be an all-Dublin encounter in the other final four tie with DCU Dóchas Éireann facing off against University College Dublin. Both games take place next Wednesday.

Meanwhile, IT Tralee retained their Sigerson Cup status with a 2-16 to 2-8 win against Athlone IT at University of Limerick.

Barry John Keane’s first-half goal and five Tony Brosnan points helped IT Tralee into a 1-10 to 0-5 interval lead. An own goal pushed IT Tralee clear and they held on to win by eight points and secure their spot in next year’s competition.

In DCU Dóchas Éireann’s thumping victory over Queens, Thomas Edward Donoghue hit the first goal after nine minutes which gave his side a five-point lead.

Brian Stack and Kevin Flynn also hit the net in the 13th and 15th minutes, which all but ended Queens’ hopes at that early stage and they trailed 3-9 to 0-3 at half-time.

David Garland scored DCU’s fourth goal early in the second half with Micheál Brannigan (two) and Stephen Smith also on target.

It took extra-time to separate UCD and St Mary’s in an epic four-point win for the Dublin side at Belfield.

It finished 0-10 to 2-4 at the end of normal time, UCD held a narrow 0-6 to 1-1 half-time lead but couldn’t hold on. Owen McCabe’s goal revived St Mary’s after a slow start to the game, but with Gary Walsh and Barry McGinn on song UCD continued to dominate.

Peadar O’Cofaigh Byrne got UCD up and running after the restart but they finished level at the end of normal time. UCD then led by 1-10 to 2-4 at half-time in extra-time before they finished stronger to take their place in the semi-finals.

Letterkenny IT were 1-14 to 1-8 winners away to IT Sligo to keep their dream alive. The visitors had four points on the board before IT Sligo got off the mark after 13 minutes, but a minute later a goal from Michael Langan had the Donegal side in charge.

Eight minutes from the interval defender Tiernan McSkean hit the net for IT Sligo but they still trailed 1-9 to 1-4 at half time. And Letterkenny kept their noses in front.

And IT Carlow were the last team to earn a semi-final spot after a brave win over holders UCC.

IT Carlow were 2-5 to 0-6 ahead at half-time and two goals from the outstanding Podge O’Toole were the difference in the end.