Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
University Ulster's Dailaigh Jones on the attack against UCD at Belfield.
University Ulster's Dailaigh Jones on the attack against UCD at Belfield.

Electric Ireland Sigerson Cup round-up

Electric Ireland Sigerson Cup

St Mary's 2-14 Maynooth University 0-9

Letterkenny IT 1-17 Athlone IT 3-4

IT Sligo 0-8 UL 0-5

IT Carlow 3-9 IT Tralee 1-13

UCD 0-13 Ulster University 0-11

DCU 0-9 Garda 0-7

UCC 2-12 NUIG 1-14

Champions UCC survived a real shock in Galway as Billy Morgan’s side crept past NUI Galway thanks to first-half goals from James McEntee and Rory Cunningham.

Rob Finnerty was in inspired form for NUI Galway and his 1-9 was vital for his side, who recovered well from a shocking 11 minutes spell in the first half to only trail by two at the break. Points from Finian O Laoi and Finnerty drew NUI Galway level, while Kieran Molloy played all of the second half, but Killian Spillane and Diarmuid O’Connor scores proved sufficient for UCC as Dessie Connelly’s late free sailed wide and UCCc avoid extra time.

Meanwhile, in Dublin Garda College almost stunned DCU, but points from Micheál Brannigan got one of the favourites for the title off to a winning start.

Donegal goalkeeper Shaun Patton had landed two long range frees for his side to put them one point clear with time running out, but it wasn’t to be for the Tipperary based side, who fell to an 0-11 to 0-9 loss. Paddy Small and Patton were sent off during the second half, but DCU will be happy to survive.

UCD needed extra time but they eventually claimed a 0-13 to 0-11 win over UUJ in Belfield. A point from Cavan native Luke Fortune send this game into extra-time after it finished 0-7 each after normal time, but UCD scored five points in the first ten extra minutes to set up the win.

Next week we’ll see an interesting north west derby in the quarter-finals as IT Sligo and Letterkenny IT claimed memorable wins today. The Michael Murphy managed Donegal side were impressive victors against IT Athlone on a 1-17 to 3-4 margin, while IT Sligo earned home advantage for that last eight clash with their 0-8 to 0-5 win over University of Limerick.

Elsewhere, Carlow IT will play UCC in the next round after their 3-9 to 1-13 victory over IT Tralee earlier today. Cian Farrell’s penalty in the second half helped the Carlow side to the win against one of the fancied sides in the competition.

Con Kilpatrick’s second half goal wrapped up a convincing win for St Mary’s College who ran out 2-14 to 0-9 winners against Maynooth University to qualify for the quarter-finals. Last year’s runners-up go on to face UCD in the next round.

And in the only game on Saturday, Queen’s University Belfast were too strong for TU Dublin City Campus and their six point win sealed a quarter-final against DCU next Sunday.

Official Sponsors of the GAA Football All-Ireland Championship

Official Sponsors of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Championship

Live Competitions