Con O'Callaghan, Dublin, and David Connolly, Limerick, in Allianz Football League Division Two action at TUS Gaelic Grounds. Photo by Sam Barnes/Sportsfile
Con O'Callaghan, Dublin, and David Connolly, Limerick, in Allianz Football League Division Two action at TUS Gaelic Grounds. Photo by Sam Barnes/Sportsfile

Allianz FL D2: O'Callaghan impresses for Dublin

Allianz Football League Division Two

Dublin 2-17 Limerick 1-11

By Tom Clancy at TUS Gaelic Grounds
Dublin made it two wins on the bounce in Division Two, seeing off a determined Limerick in the TUS Gaelic Grounds. Dessie Farrell’s side turned in a superb first 35 minutes to allow them breathing room against a Limerick fightback in the third quarter.

After a 14-point loss to Derry last weekend, Limerick would have feared the worst when trailing by 13 at half-time, but they replied and won the second half, with a considerably better showing a both ends of the pitch.

Played before nearly 4,000 spectators, including many who travelled from the capital, it was Dublin who owned the first quarter. They opened up a three point advantage with Ross McGarry and Dean Rock on target in a tidy opening period. Limerick replied through All-Start nominee, Cian Sheehan.

Dublin kicked the next few scores, and had a converted penalty from Dean Rock. The reliable Con O’Callaghan was felled when pulling the trigger, by Gordon Browne. Despite a decent read from keeper Donal O’Sullivan, Rock’s effort was powerful and accurate.

The second goal stretched the lead to 2-9 to just 0-2 with O’Callaghan seeing an effort saved only for Brian Fenton to palm to the net. Limerick did reply, with the last six points of the half split evenly,

James Naughton with a brace and Sheehan helped Limerick outscore their tally of just 0-4 last weekend. They would have to replace Sheehan at half, time however.

Dublin didn’t score for 18 second half minutes, during which time Limerick scored 1-3. Hugh Bourke netted a goal and added a point as the home faithful grew in belief. However, Dublin steadied and rallied off three points with Limerick short of Killian Ryan, who received a black card.

Farrell’s side closed the game in a professional manner but will be somewhat dissatisfied not to build on their strong half-time position. Limerick must regroup ahead of a trip to Louth, while Dublin will look to make it three from three against Cork on February 19th.  

Scorers for Dublin: Dean Rock 1-5 (1-0 pen, 3fs), Ross McGarry and Con O’Callaghan 0-4 each, Brian Fenton 1-0, Lorcan O’Dell, Craig McEneaney, Dáire Newcombe, and Killian O’Gara 0-1 each.

Scorers for Limerick: James Naughton 0-5 (4fs), Hugh Bourke 1-1, Cian Sheehan and Adrian Enright 0-2 each, Iain Corbett 0-1.

Dublin: David O’Hanlon; Cian Murphy, Seán McMahon, Greg McEneaney; Lee Gannon, Dáire Newcombe, Lorcan O’Dell; Brian Fenton, Peader Ó Cofaigh Byrne; Niall Scully, Tom Lahiff, Ciaran Kilkenny; Ross McGarry, Dean Rock, Con O’Callaghan.

Subs: Colm Basquel for O’Dell (45), Killian O’Gara for McGarry (60), Adam Fearon for Gannon (64), Sean Lowry for O’Callaghan (65), Ben Millist for McEneaney (69).
Limerick: Donal O’Sullivan (J/C); David Connolly, Seán O’Dea, Barry Coleman; Brian Fanning, Cillian Fahy, Mike Donovan; Cian Sheehan, Iain Corbett (J/C); Paul Maher, James Naughton, Gordon Brown; Adrian Enright, Colm McSweeney, Davy Lyons. 

*Subs: *Hugh Bourke for Lyons (22), Killian Ryan for Sheehan (inj - half-time), Peter Nash for Browne (57), Tony McCarthy for Donovan (60), Robbie Bourke for Enright (68). 

Referee: James Molloy (Galway).