Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
Borris-Ileigh's Brendan Maher celebrates at Semple Stadium.
Borris-Ileigh's Brendan Maher celebrates at Semple Stadium.

Tipperary SHC Final: Borris-Ileigh earn silverware

Tipperary SHC Final


By Shane Brophy at Semple Stadium

Borris-Ileigh were crowned Tipperary senior hurling champions for the first time in 33 years after overcoming Kiladangan in the final at Semple Stadium, Thurles.

The maroons were underdogs going into the game, but held the upperhand although against a Kiladangan side that never were allowed get into their flow.

The game got off to a lively start with both sides having goal chances inside the opening minute, firstly Billy Seymour being denied by goalkeeper, crossbar and post at one end while at the other, Kevin Maher had a shot blocked down also.

Dan O’Meara opened the scoring for Kiladangan but Borris-Ileigh were carrying the greater threat with James Devaney, Jerry Kelly and Maher putting them in front before two frees from Willie Connors had Kiladangan back on terms after the quarter hour.

Borris-Ileigh’s two Tipp stars Brendan Maher and Dan McCormack landed long range scores as the maroons like the more likely but five wides wasn’t reflecting their dominance on the scoreboard.

They did push three ahead by the 26th minute when James Deveney cut in from the wing, his initial shot was blocked but he pulled the loose ball to the net from 14 yards to help his side into 1-9 to 0-7 half time lead.

Devaney, who finished with 1-4 from play, stretched the lead to six before Dan O’Meara goaled on 32 minutes to bring Kiladangan back into the contest.

However Borris-Ileigh were able to keep them at arms length with points from Niall Kenny, Jerry Kelly and the free-taking of Kevin & Brendan Maher.

Borris began to come under pressure going into the last fifteen minutes with O’Meara brought down for a penalty with goalkeeper James McCormack denying his opposite number with a fine stop.

Kiladangan had their chances and when Tommy Ryan cleared a Tadhg Gallagher shot off the line on 55 minutes, you sensed it was Borris-Ileigh’s day and they claimed the Tipperary title for a seventh time and will play Cork’s Glen Rovers in the Munster Club semi-final in Thurles next Sunday.

Scorers for Borris-Ileigh: James Devaney 1-4; Jerry Kelly, Kevin Maher (frees), Brendan Maher (2 frees) 0-3 each; Niall Kenny, Dan McCormack 0-1 each.

Scorers for Kiladangan: Willie Connors 0-7 (5 frees, 1 65, 1 s-cut); Dan O’Meara 1-1; Paul Flynn 0-2; Tadhg Gallagher, Andy Loughnane 0-1 each.

BORRIS-ILEIGH: James McCormack; Seamus Burke, Paddy Stapleton, Liam Ryan; Sean McCormack, Brendan Maher, Ray McCormack; Tommy Ryan, Dan McCormack; Conor Kenny, Kieran Maher, James Devaney; Jerry Kelly, Niall Kenny, Kevin Maher.

Subs: Jack Hogan for T Ryan (56).

KILADANGAN: Barry Hogan; Declan McGrath, James Quigley, Fergal Hayes; Jack Loughnane, Alan Flynn, Darren Moran; David Sweeney, Johnny Horan; Joe Gallagher, Willie Connors, Dan O’Meara; Tadhg Gallagher, Paul Flynn, Billy Seymour.

Subs: Martin Minehan for McGrath (HT); Sean Hayes for Loughnane (HT); Andy Loughnane for J Gallagher (51); Bryan McLoughney for T Gallagher (60).

REFEREE: Fergal Horgan (Knockavilla Kickhams).

Official Sponsors of the GAA Football All-Ireland Championship

Official Sponsors of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Championship

Live Competitions