Henry Shefflin's Galway defeated Offaly at Duggan Park.
Henry Shefflin's Galway defeated Offaly at Duggan Park.

Round-up: Weekend's hurling action

Co-Op Superstores Munster Hurling Cup

Kerry 0-17 Tipperary 0-14

Kerry became the story of the hurling weekend yesterday afternoon when they recorded a memorable three-point victory over Tipperary in the Munster Hurling Cup, their first ever senior win over the Premier County.

The victory was made all the more remarkable by the fact that a significant number of their key players would have been in action for Kilmoyley in this afternoon’s Munster Intermediate Club hurling final, but as long as this group can call on Shane Conway, they’ll continue to cause problems for any opponent.

The Lixnaw player fired over nine points, three from play, and led a Kerry attack new recruit Paudie Ahern from Killeady in Limerick made a decisive contribution, chipping over three points.

Ahern will now get a chance to take on his native county in next week’s semi-final, with Clare taking on Waterford in the other contest.

Walsh Cup

Galway 2-19 Offaly 0-19

Laois 1-16 Wexford 1-27

Dublin 2-27 Antrim 1-21

The eyes of the country were in Duggan Park Ballinasloe this afternoon for Henry Shefflin’s maiden appearance as Galway senior hurling manager, with his club colleague Michael Fennelly in the opposite dugout taking charge of Offaly.

Shefflin started an experimental team for the contest and in the end had to rely on goals in either half from Brian Concannon and Donal O’Shea to come through with a 2-19 to 0-19 win over their neighbours.

Offaly enjoyed plenty of success in front of the posts for the opening 35 minutes, with Eoghan Cahill their leading threat. The Birr man finished up with 0-11 (0-5f) on the day, while Galway leaned heavily on Donal O’Shea, son of former Tipper manager Eamon and the first player from Salthill/Knocknacarra to play senior hurling for Galway

Concannon’s goal made it 1-12 to 0-13 to Galway at half-time and that was still the margin going into the last 15 minutes when O’Shea scrambled his goal and both sides emptied the bench, leading to a disjointed conclusion to an otherwise competitive game.

Richie Lawlor’s goal after 47 minutes Rathdowney was the score that killed off Laois and set Wexford on their way to a 1-27 to 1-16 victory.

Wexford started well, hitting the first three points, but a Stephen Maher goal had the sides level with eight minutes played. The Model County continued to attack the game and play at a quite high tempo however, and Billy Dunne, Rory O’Connor and Cathal Dunbar were all prominent for Darragh Egan’s side as they took a 0-13 to 1-7 lead into half time.

Laois stayed in touch, with Maher their main scoring threat, but Wexford were able to make through the gears and make their strength in depth count once Lawlor fired in his goal.

Antrim hit the ground running at Parnell Park and a goal from Deaglan Murphy helped them to build up an eight-point lead mid-way through the first half, but the tide turned in Dublin’s favour, with Colin Currie building up scores and Cian O'Sullivan's goal pushing them two points in front at half time.

Currie added their second goal shortly after half-time and Rian McBride, Chris Crummey and Eamon Dillon were all on target for the home side, who ran out 2-27 to 1-21 winners.