A general view of Semple Stadium.
A general view of Semple Stadium.

Round-up: Saturday's Electric Ireland Minor Hurling Championship action

Electric Ireland Munster MHC Semi-Finals



Limerick’s dream of a senior and minor hurling double in 2020 is still very much on, but Waterford’s hopes now rest entirely with their senior stars following this afternoon’s semi-final contests in the ESB Electric Ireland Munster minor hurling championship.

Tipperary were pillar to post winners over the Déise in the contest that took place at Páirc Uí Rinn this afternoon, though accuracy played a huge part in their fast start. Tipp posted three early points while Waterford registered four wides in the same six-minute spell, and once Jack Leamy added a goal before the water break to make it 1-5 to 0-2, the Premier County had a commanding lead they would never relinquish.

Waterford had their chances to get back into the game, but an incredible double save from Jason O’Dwyer denied them a badly needed goal. Instead they could only muster up points from Paddy Fitzgerald and Sean Callaghan as they went in 1-8 to 0-5 behind at the interval.

Paddy Fitzgerald and Charlie Treen were on the mark for four points between them as Waterford gave as good as they got in the third quarter, and a 65 from Fitzgerald left just a goal between the sides going into the last ten minutes.

Substitute Kenny Lee proved to be the match winner as he fired over a point before adding a well-taken goal that killed off Waterford’s resistance and guaranteed Tipp’s place in the Munster decider.

Earlier this afternoon, Limerick were hugely impressive in their 2-19 to 0-13 victory against Cork at Semple Stadium.

The game was evenly poised at the first water break with Limerick 0-6 to 0-5 to the good, but they were finding scores from all over their forward line, while Cork leaned heavily on dead ball scores from Ben Cunningham.

Cork even took the lead coming up to half time but two goals in as many minutes from Adam English completely flipped the script, and it meant Limerick were 2-9 to 0-10 in front at half time. English’s first effort was a remarkable solo goal that clearly roused his colleagues, and they didn’t look back after half time, adding on ten points including six unanswered, while Cork could only muster up three scores over the full half hour of play.

The weekend’s minor hurling action will conclude tomorrow, when Offaly travel to Newbridge to take on Kildare and Westmeath play host to Dublin in Mullingar in Leinster quarter-final ties. The winner of those two games will meet each other, with Wexford and Kilkenny on the other half of the draw.