Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



Round-up: Saturday's Allianz HL D2 and D3 action

Josh Cronolly McGee, Donegal, and Fionn Devlin, Tyrone, in Allianz Hurling League action. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Josh Cronolly McGee, Donegal, and Fionn Devlin, Tyrone, in Allianz Hurling League action. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Allianz Hurling League Division 2A

Carlow 1-23 Laois 0-21

Carlow have one foot in the Division 2A Allianz Hurling League Final after they made the short trip down the road to Laois Hire O'Moore Park and came away with a vital five-point victory.

Scott Tracey’s 23rd minute goal helped Carlow on their way in what proved to be the game’s defining score. The sides were deadlocked at 0-7 apiece before Tracey rifled home, after points from Chris Nolan, John Michael Nolan, and Marty Kavanagh (frees) helped Carlow to overcome a strong start from the home side. Laois dealt with the initial sucker punch in good fashion as they only trailed 1-12 to 0-11 at the interval.

However, the third quarter was where Carlow won this game, as they surged 1-20 to 0-13 clear after 55 minutes. Laois rallied well in the final quarter with Pickie Maher firing over his 200th league point to help reduce the arrears after the Carlow barrage with his and Enda Rowland from frees keeping their side interested.

Martin Kavanagh proved a steadying influence for the winners and despite three late scores from Paddy Purcell, a Fiachra Fitzpatrick point meant Laois were never able to get within touching distance as Carlow held on.

Allianz Hurling League Division 2B

Tyrone 1-17 Donegal 0-20

Tyrone and Donegal remain in mid-table in Division Three of the Allianz League with three points from three games played, after the two sides played out an entertaining draw at O’Neill’s Healy Park in Omagh this afternoon.

In a game where Donegal held small leads at various stages of the game but never had more than a goal to spare, it fell to Aidy Kelly to fire over his tenth point of the afternoon to ensure a share of the spoils.

Tyrone started well to lead by 0-4 to 0-2, but Donegal were the better side in the second quarter. Stephen Gillespie and Gavin Browne came forward to fire excellent scores while Gerry Gilmore also had a productive afternoon, moving the away side three points up before a couple of Lorcan Devlin scores made it 0-12 to 0-11 at the break.

Again Donegal appeared to be in decent shape when moving 0-14 to 0-11 and 0-16 to 0-13 ahead in the final period. However, Tyrone continued to battle manfully and a scrambled Seamus Sweeney goal put them back on level terms. Joe McToal nudged them in front, Donegal managed to wrestle back the lead, but Kelly’s 10th score in the first minute of stoppage time left it all square at the death.

Allianz Hurling League Division 3B

Leitrim 2-18 Lancashire 0-17

Leitrim scooped a valuable win as a powerful start and a late goal helped them earn their first win of the league to date at Lancashire’s expense in Carrick-on-Shannon. The Connacht side enjoyed a ferocious start as they powered 1-7 to no score ahead inside the opening quarter against a Lancashire side that appeared flat footed in the early throes of the contest, with Conor Beirne registering the goal.

Lancashire gradually settled and once they managed to move the scoreboard, largely on the back of David Lynch’s frees, they began to cause Leitrim problems. The winners led 1-11 to 0-9 at the break but were outscored 0-9 to 0-5 in the final 20 minutes of the opening half.

Finn Henry reduced that gap even further with the first score of the second half, but Leitrim managed to keep their opponents at arm’s length, finding life much easier after Lancashire’s Shane Nugent received a second yellow card.

Evan Cox picked up a couple of points from play late on while Dahni Keane fired in their second goal in the 66th minute, briefly extending the lead to 10 points.

Fermanagh 1-19 Warwickshire 2-5

Ten different players found the target as Fermanagh continued their winning ways at Brewster Park today. Warwickshire led 2-4 to 0-8 after 45 minutes, but a quickfire 1-1 from Tom Keenan helped the winners enjoy a degree of control. From the 45th minute until the conclusion of the contest, Fermanagh outscored Warwickshire by 1-11 to 0-1.

Fermanagh enjoyed an early two-point advantage but a Kelvin Magee goal helped Warwickshire edge in front during the opening quarter. Jack Grealish extended the lead to four but Fermanagh fired five on the spin to lead by 0-8 to 1-4 at the break.

David Devine netted for Warwickshire, but Fermanagh’s greater scoring threats proved too much as the Ulster side scooped another win.