Ciarán Kirwan, WIT, in Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup action against Andrew Dunphy, DCU Dóchas Éireann.
Ciarán Kirwan, WIT, in Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup action against Andrew Dunphy, DCU Dóchas Éireann.

Round-up: Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup



MTU Cork 1-22 Trinity 1-16


TUS Midwest 0-24 TU Dublin 0-16



UCC 3-22 UCD 1-14

NUIG 1-20 Mary I 2-8


IT Carlow 2-22 Maynooth University 2-19

WIT 2-20 DCU 0-18

MTU Cork earned a place in the knockout stages following a 1-22 to 1-16 triumph over Trinity at Santry Avenue.

GMIT overpowered Trinity last week so this match carried huge significance for the home team, who just couldn't cope with MTU Cork's attacking craft.

Despite missing several key performers MTU Cork led 0-14 to 1-7 against a spirited Trinity.

Jack Lanigan clipped a nice point for Trinity before Donal Leavy mined a goal for Trinity in the opening period.

After the restart MTU Cork, with Liam O'Shea and Tomas Howard influential, added a goal courtesy of Alan Walsh.

It was an entertaining encounter with Sean O'Leary Hayes nailing five points for Trinity.

Heavily defeated last week by UL, TUS Midwest responded to carve out a vital 0-24 to 0-16 win over TU Dublin in Limerick.

Billy Seymour struck 0-11 for the home team, who produced an impressive performance under pressure.

Leading 0-13 to 0-9 at half-time Seymour and Evan Fitzpatrick subsequently rifled over important points.

TU Dublin, managed by Ryan O'Dwyer, featured Tipperary star Patrick 'Bonner' Maher, who made a welcome return to action.

IT Carlow, managed by DJ Carey, chalked up a second win in Group B against Maynooth University, 2-22 to 2-19.

Carlow duo Marty Kavanagh and Chris Nolan were in brilliant form for the home team scoring 2-11 between them.

Early on Cian Boyle mined a goal for Maynooth, who settled impressively, but then IT Carlow took charge.

Goals from Kavanagh and Nolan ensured IT Carlow led 2-11 to 1-7 at the turnaround.

In the closing stages Maynooth summoned a rally with a Conor Drennan goal from a free cutting the gap to two points.

Kavanagh subsequently rifled over a free for IT Carlow, who survived a tense finish.

WIT, beaten in a thriller by IT Carlow last week, enjoyed a productive evening in the capital overcoming hosts DCU 2-20 to 0-18.

A purposeful first half display from the visitors put WIT 1-13 to 0-6 in front at the break with Gavin Fives providing the goal.

Niall O'Sullivan added a second goal to seal the deal for a well organised WIT.

In Group A Tipperary's Mark Kehoe, who scored 1-6 from play, inspired UCC to a 3-22 to 1-14 success over UCD at the Mardyke.

UCC led 0-14 to 1-6 at half-time and they remained in the ascendancy after the restart.

Kehoe, Padraig Power and Conor Cahalane bagged goals for UCC, who beat Mary I last week.

Donal O'Shea registered nine points for UCD with Diarmaid O'Floinn scoring a goal.

Jeffrey Lynskey's NUIG continue to impress as Evan Niland's 0-10 haul was critical in the 1-20 to 2-9 triumph over Mary I at Dangan.

Despite the difficult conditions Evan Niland was sharp for NUIG, who were 0-12 to 0-5 ahead at the turnaround.

Mary I narrowed the gap when goalkeeper Eamon Foudy grabbed a goal from a penalty.

NUIG, though, refused to be perturbed with Galway senior Brian Concannon responding with a major.

Diarmuid Ryan's goal near the end for Mary I was merely a consolation as NUIG, with Concannon contributing 1-3, claimed the spoils.