Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



Electric Ireland Munster MHC Final: Impressive Tipperary triumph

Tipperary's Stefan Tobin celebrates after scoring a goal in the Electric Ireland Munster MHC Final. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

Tipperary's Stefan Tobin celebrates after scoring a goal in the Electric Ireland Munster MHC Final. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

Electric Ireland Munster MHC Final

Tipperary 2-17 Clare 0-16

By Stephen Barry at TUS Gaelic Grounds

The John Doyle Cup is heading home to Holycross as Cathal O’Reilly became the first captain to lift the new Electric Ireland Munster minor hurling trophy.

Tipperary did it by inflicting a first defeat on reigning All-Ireland champions Clare with goals from Stefan Tobin (1-3) and Cillian Minogue (1-1) to collect their 42nd title.

The Banner’s season has been founded upon their imperious defence, with no goal allowed and only 60 points conceded across four group games. Tipp had leaked eight goals by comparison, but they flipped the script in front of 4,287 fans at the Gaelic Grounds.

They advance to the All-Ireland semi-finals, while Clare will get another shot in the quarters.

Clare played with the Ennis Road breeze at their backs but it was Tipp who flew into an early lead. Tobin led the charge, picking up 0-2 either side of a Minogue effort.

After James Cullinan’s solo response, they pushed four ahead via Euan Murray and an Eoghan Doughan free.

Clare hit back with six of the next seven points to edge into their first lead, including a pair from Harry Doherty and rounded out by a fine Paul Rodgers catch and score.

They traded the lead from there to the break, with Liam Murphy’s acute attempt tying things up at 0-10 apiece.

The O’Callaghan Mills forward had blitzed 5-5 in Clare’s last two outings and he almost conjured up a goal before the interval, but could only find the sidenetting under pressure from Shane Ryan and O’Reilly.

Tipp could’ve netted on the restart but Tobin whipped wide of the post. When Doherty profited from a Tipp mistake moments later, his shot was comfortably saved by Daire English.

They were still evenly matched, 0-14 apiece, until Tipp broke through on the three-quarter mark.

Billy O’Brien batted down a short puck-out, Tobin drew the last two defenders, and Minogue rifled to the far corner. Murray and impact-sub Aaron Cagney added points for a lead of five.

In the 52nd minute, they found a second goal from Jake Donelan-Houlihan’s long delivery as Tobin applied a composed finish.

Clare went goal-hunting, but between English in goal, captain O’Reilly, and centre-back Owen O’Dwyer, the Tipp defence held out.

Scorers for Tipperary: Stefan Tobin 1-3, Eoghan Doughan 0-6 (3fs), Cillian Minogue 1-1, Euan Murray 0-3, Jake Donelan-Houlihan (f), Darragh O’Hora, Aaron Cagney, Killian Cantwell 0-1 each.

Scorers for Clare: Matthew Corbett (2fs), Harry Doherty (2fs) 0-3 each, James Cullinan, Graham Ball 0-2 each, Dara Kennedy, Rian Mulcahy (65), Conor Ralph, Paul Rodgers, Liam Murphy, Ryan Hayes 0-1 each.

Tipperary: Daire English; Shane Ryan, Cathal O’Reilly, Patrick Ryan; Jake Donelan-Houlihan, Owen O’Dwyer, David Ryan; Tiernan Ryan, Adam Ryan; Darragh O’Hora, Eoghan Doughan, Billy O’Brien; Stefan Tobin, Euan Murray, Cillian Minogue.

Subs: Aaron Cagney for O’Hora (45), Paul Cummins for A Ryan (55), Killian Cantwell for T Ryan (60), Joe O’Dwyer for Minogue (60+1), Jack Cahill for Doughan (60+4).

Clare: Matthew Crotty; Seán McNamara, Seán Óg Kilkenny, Darren Moroney; Dara Kennedy, James Cullinan, Rian Mulcahy; Graham Ball, Matthew Corbett; Harry Doherty, Patrick Finneran, Conor Ralph; Jerry O’Connor, Liam Murphy, Paul Rodgers.

Subs: Ryan Hayes for Ralph (37), Michael Vaughan for O’Connor (43), Tadhg Lohan for Finneran (48), Darragh Ball for Corbett (55).

Referee: Ciarán O’Regan (Cork).