Cork v Waterford - Allianz Hurling League Division 1A Round 4

25 February 2018; Mikey Kearney of Waterford on his way to scoring his side's first goal during the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A Round 4 match between Cork and Waterford at Páirc Uí Chaoimh in Cork. Photo by Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile

Allianz HL D1: Waterford off the mark against Rebels

*Allianz Hurling League Division 1A *


By Denis Hurley at Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Waterford are off the mark in Division 1A of the Allianz HL, having overcome Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon.

While the Déise had fallen three behind after Patrick Horgan’s goal for Cork on 22 minutes, they responded well to lead by three points, 1-12 to 1-9 at half-time. Cork did draw level on one occasion in the second half but Waterford pushed on impressively once more to take the points.

Horgan’s goal put the hosts 1-6 to 0-6 in front after the sides on been level on five occasions before that.

From a good ball in by Bill Cooper, Horgan did well to bring the ball down with his hurley, providing a clear route to goal, and he kept his composure to send a batted strike beyond Stephen O’Keeffe.

The lead was only fleeting for the Rebels, however, as Mikey Kearney did well to forge an opening for himself when Cork didn’t defend a clearance and his low shot across Anthony Nash gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Austin Gleeson was on hand to make it 1-7 to 1-6 and though Horgan levelled again with his fifth point, a minute later Cork lost their captain Séamus Harnedy to a red card after a foul on Barry Coughlan.

In the wake of that, Waterford tacked on three points, from Mahony and Austin Gleeson – each player scoring his third point – before Mahony added another.

Horgan replied with a Cork free and then finished a move involving Conor Lehane and Dean Brosnan, but two more Mahony frees ensured that the visitors had a three-point lead at the break.

Cork had some hope when points from Tim O’Mahony, Mark Ellis and Horgan’s ninth made it 1-13 each in the opening quarter-hour of the second half, but three Mahony frees – the latter from halfway – restored the Déise momentum.

Thereafter, Cork had just two more points, from Horgan and corner-back Colm Spillane, as Waterford pushed on, with subs Stephen Bennett and Stephen Roche on target. Cork did have one late goal chance through sub Shane Kingston, but O’Keeffe saved well and the visitors saw out the game.

Scorers for Cork: Patrick Horgan 1-10 (0-9 frees), Conor Lehane 0-2, Colm Spillane, Tim O’Mahony, Mark Ellis 0-1 each.

Scorers for Waterford: Pauric Mahony 0-10 (0-8 frees), Austin Gleeson 0-4 (0-1 free), Michael Kearney 1-1, Stephen Bennett 0-2, Jamie Barron, Colin Dunford, Stephen Roche 0-1 each.

*CORK: *Anthony Nash (Kanturk); Conor O’Sullivan (Sarsfields), Eoin Cadogan (Douglas), Colm Spillane (Castlelyons); Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh), Tim O’Mahony (Newtownshandrum), Darren Browne (Kanturk); Mark Ellis (Millstreet), Mark Coleman (Blarney); Bill Cooper (Blarney), Dean Brosnan (Glen Rovers), Conor Lehane (Midleton); Alan Cadogan (Douglas), Séamus Harnedy (St Ita’s), Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers). *Subs: *Robbie O’Flynn (Erin’s Own) for Lehane (halft-time), Lorcán McLoughlin (Kanturk) for Joyce (55), Luke Meade (Newcestown) for Brosnan (58), Michael Cahalane (Bandon) for O’Sullivan (65), Shane Kingston (Douglas) for Cooper (66).

*WATERFORD: *Stephen O’Keeffe (Ballygunner); Shane Fives (Tourin), Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner), Noel Connors (Passage); Tadhg de Búrca (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg); Philip Mahony (Ballygunner), Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater), Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion); Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater), Kevin Moran (De La Salle); Maurice Shanahan (Lismore), Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper), Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner); Tom Devine (Modeligo), Colin Dunford (Colligan). *Subs: *Stephen Roche (Mount Sion) for Shanahan (49), Brian O’Halloran for Dunford (49), Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart) for Devine (57), Jake Dillon (De La Salle) for Kearney (57).

*Referee: *Seán Cleere (Kilkenny)