Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



AIB Junior club championships: Castleblayney and Milltown advance

Castleblayney reached the last four of the All-Ireland Junior Club hurling championship in dramatic fashion this afternoon.

Castleblayney reached the last four of the All-Ireland Junior Club hurling championship in dramatic fashion this afternoon.

AIB Leinster Club JFC Final


14-man Milltown delivered a killer blow deep in stoppage time when Declan McKenna’s goal confirmed their win over Glyde Rangers and ensured that they would be the first Kildare team to win a Leinster junior club title since Two Mile House ten years ago.

The Kildare club were the dominant side in the first half but they were rocked by an early goal from Ciarán Sheridan after five minutes. Kevin Byrne, who was outstanding for Milltown, got his club rolling with a point and additional points from Aaron Jacob and Conor Sheerin were the highlights as Milltown took an 0-7 to 1-2 lead into the dressing room at Hawkfield.

Seven wides and six shots dropped short looked like they might cost them dearly however, particularly when Aaron Jacob was sent off early in the second half. Brian Duffy had Glyde Rangers on level terms by the 40th minute, but they failed to score for the remainder of a very tense and tight game.

A free from Conor Sheerin was the only score until the last minute of normal time when Patrick Donohoe rounded off four minutes of possession with a majestic point, and with Glyde chasing the game, Declan McKenna added the exclamation point score when he rolled the ball into an empty net in the 64th minute.

AIB Ulster Club JHC Twinning Final

CASTLEBLAYNEY 5-24    SEÁN TREACYS 3-18 (after extra-time)

Castleblayney hurling club put the heartbreak of their failure to win a seventh Monaghan senior hurling title in succession behind them when they delivered a most remarkable victory over Seán Treacys of London this afternoon in Ruislip. They secured their place in the AIB All-Ireland JHC semi-final line-up (where they will play either Tullogher-Rosbercon of Kilkenny or Carrig and Riverstown of Offaly) in the most incredible fashion too, resurrecting from a seemingly impossible position.

Seán Treacys went eight points clear early in the second half when Eoin McHugh’s goal made it 2-10 to 0-8, and while Castleblayney responded brilliantly to this setback with three Leo Moloney points and Thomas Hughes goal, Tommy McGrath’s raised a third green flag for the southwest London club in the 45th minute.

A run of points from Shane Stapleton and Liam Galway seemed to make the win safe for Seán Treacys as they still led by six points (3-16 to 1-16) with three minutes of stoppage time played. However two goals in 90 seconds from Moloney and Hughes forced extra time, and the turnaround in the additional 20 minutes was remarkable, with Castleblayney running riot.

Hughes and Brian McGuigan added further goals as they conceded the first point in overtime but then went on to outscore their hosts by 2-8 to 0-1 for the remainder, sending them through to the All-Ireland series with no small amount of momentum.