The Naas team that defeated Tooreen in the AIB All-Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling semi-final.
The Naas team that defeated Tooreen in the AIB All-Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling semi-final. 

AIB Club IHC/JHC Roundup: Good day for Munster and Leinster clubs

AIB All-Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Results

NAAS 0-18 TOOREEN 0-13


AIB All-Ireland Junior Club Hurling Results



As is the case with the senior decider, the 2022 AIB All-Ireland Intermediate and Junior club hurling finals will both be Leinster vs Munster affairs, following wins for Naas, Kilmoyley, Ballygiblin and Mooncoin this afternoon at various venues all across Ireland.

Duggan Park in Ballinasloe was the venue for the clash between Naas and Tooreen, where a Naas team that became the first Leinster team to beat Kilkenny opposition at this level for ten years took on a Tooreen side that was coming in having won their third Connacht title in recent years and was hoping to push on to the next level.

Shane Boland (2), Cathal Freeman and Joe Boyle were all on the mark early in the game as the Mayo club moved 0-4 to 0-1 in front in the early exchanges, but Naas soon settled about their work and with Brian Byrne and Jack Sheridan leading the way - the duo finished with 12 points between them, nine from the stick of Sheridan - they inched in front by two at half-time, at one stage scoring six points in seven minutes.

The gap was closed to a single point just after the resumption through another Boland free, but Naas were ready to move up another gear and they tagged on five more points to Tooreen’s two up to the second water break, leaving the Connacht champions with too much to do in the final quarter.

Just up the road in the Connacht Centre of Excellence outside Ballyhaunis, Kilmoyley delivered a performance that wasn't quite up to the standard of some of their previous displays in Munster, but still had just enough resolve, grit and street smarts to get them past a tough challenge from Banagher of Derry.

Maurice O'Connor's goal was the crucial score as the North Kerry outfit took a 1-7 to 0-8 lead into half-time, but the winning of the game was the third quarter, where Banagher looked very strong from general play, starting with a brilliantly taken goal from Stefan McCloskey. A Liam Campbell free, one of four points from the full forward, moved them three clear at one stage but Kilmoyley dug in, started to chip over points through Daniel Collins and Jordan Brick, and they went one up by the second half water break. A second goal from Maurice O'Connor gave them a bit of breathing room and ensured they were able to hold firm defensively to the end.

The first quarter of action at the Gaelic Grounds was moderately competitive, with Donal O'Shea helping to keep Salthill-Knocknacarra in touch against the 2017 All-Ireland finalists, Mooncoin. However, a Kevin Crowley goal in the second quarter gave Mooncoin breathing room, and once the net was rattled a second time by John Fitzgerald at the start of the second half, it was all plain sailing for the Kilkenny side en route to a 20-point victory.

The story, and the winning margin, was the same at MW Hire O'Moore Park where Manchester's Fullen Gaels attempted to upset the odds against a strong Ballygiblin side from Cork. Fullen Gaels opened the scoring through a Robin Spencer free, but a wind-assisted Ballygiblin opened up a 1-4 to 0-1 lead by the first water-break. Colin English, Dean Barry and Joseph O’Sullivan fired points before English netted in the ninth minute. 

The second quarter was similarly one-way, with eight points scored by Ballygiblin while Fullen Gaels didn't raise a flag, with Darren Cusack in goal having to perform heroics to ensure that the gap wasn't widened out to a chasm.

The wind helped Fullen Gaels to make a bit more of an impression in the second half but all bar three of their points came from frees, with two of those coming from the stick of David Burke. Meanwhile Aidan Donegan, Sean O’Sullivan and English struck late goals to add to Ballygiblin's tally.