Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1

Kilkenny 1-21 2-24 Tipperary

Round 2
UPMC Nowlan Park
Patrick Murphy
Allianz HL D1: Tipp impress against Kilkenny
Alan Tynan of Tipperary in action against Huw Lawlor, left, and Cillian Buckley of Kilkenny during the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group B match between Kilkenny and Tipperary at UPMC Nowlan Park in Kilkenny. 

Allianz HL D1: Tipp impress against Kilkenny

Allianz Hurling League Division 1


By Robert Cribbin at UPMC Nowlan Park

Tipperary claimed victory in UPMC Nowlan Park for the first time since 2008 when running out six point winners over Kilkenny in Round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League.

The Division 1B clash was dominated for large periods by Tipperary as first half goals from Jake Morris and Jason Forde saw them open up a big lead that Kilkenny could never claw back.

Forde was in superb form for the winners as he notched 1-15 and he was part of a forward line that caused utter panic in the Kilkenny backline.

Kilkenny never led and they rallied late in the second half on the back of a Martin Keoghan goal but ultimately they left themselves with too much to do against a Tipperary side that could have won by more after hitting 19 wides in total.

Tipperary were in front within seconds of the start when Jason Forde pointed from play but Kilkenny hit back immediately as Darragh Corcoran and Billy Drennan combined to set up Walter Walsh and while Barry Hogan saved a goalbound attempt from Walsh, the ball found it's way back to the wing forward who settled for a point.

The visitors then retook the lead with a Forde free and there was a lull in the play afterwards with both Cathal Barrett and Paddy Cadell going off injured for Liam Cahill's side.

Kilkenny soon levelled up matters with a Billy Drennan free in the 12th minute but the Cats short passing game in defence was beginning to come unstuck with Tipp looking a threat every time they came forward.

Between the 13th and 16th minutes, Jason Forde x2 and Jake Morris all found the target as Tipperary seized control of the contest.

Kilkenny hit back with Drennan's second free of the half but a 1-2 haul without reply soon pushed the visitors further ahead.

A Noel McGrath effort from play made it a three point game before Conor Bowe had a shot saved over from Kilkenny goalkeeper Aidan Tallis.

A Tipperary goal did duly arrive in the 27th minute when a Seamus Callanan pass found Jake Morris and despite having an overlap, the game's top scorer went alone and fired a shot to the net.

Shane Walsh and Billy Ryan helped reduce the deficit but with Jason Forde running riot as well as Alan Tynan and John Campion finding their range, Tipperary led 1-11 to 0-5 approaching the half-time break.

John Donnelly emerged as a sub for Cian Kenny and he had a big impact with two quickfire points but the home side still had a mountain to climb for the second half when Jake Morris netted Tipperary's second goal in first half stoppage time.

Kilkenny brought on David Blanchfield and Conor Fogarty at the change of ends as they sought to eat in to the 12 point Tipperary lead and it worked to a point as Donnelly, Drennan, Martin Keoghan and Conor Fogarty all found their range.

Tipp maintained their advantage with Jason Forde keeping the scoreboard ticking over and it wasn't until Martin Keoghan netted for Kilkenny in the 58th minute, that the 10,458 strong crowd really got involved.

Tipp goalkeeper Barry Hogan also made a crucial stop from John Donnelly during this period as Kilkenny really began to get motoring.

A brace of frees from Billy Drennan in the 60th and 62nd minutes brought Kilkenny back to within four points but Tipp showed their character in the final few minutes where Jason Forde scored three points on the trot including a sublime sideline cut to see the game out in their favour.

Scorers for Tipperary: Jason Forde (1-15, 0-7f and 0-2 65's), Jake Morris (1-2), Conor Bowe (0-2), Noel McGrath (0-2), Alan Tynan (0-1), John Campion (0-1) and Mark Kehoe (0-1)

Scorers for Kilkenny: Billy Drennan (0-10, 0-6f and 0-1 65), Martin Keoghan (1-2), John Donnelly (0-4), Padraig Walsh (0-1), Walter Walsh (0-1), Billy Ryan (0-1), Shane Walsh (0-1) and Conor Fogarty (0-1)

TIPPERARY: Barry Hogan; Cathal Barrett, Michael Breen, Johnny Ryan; Enda Heffernan, Pauric Campion, Ronan Maher; Paddy Cadell, Dan McCormack; Alan Tynan, Noel McGrath, Jake Morris; Jason Forde, Seamus Callanan, Conor Bowe. Subs: John Campion for Cadell (4), Eoghan Connolly for Barrett (11, Temporary Sub), Mark Kehoe for Callanan (53), Bryan O'Mara for P.Campion (54), Seamus Kennedy for J.Campion (60), Sean Ryan for Morris (66).

KILKENNY: Aidan Tallis; Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Conor Heary; Cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Darragh Corcoran; Paddy Deegan, Killian Doyle; Walter Walsh, Billy Ryan, Cian Kenny; Billy Drennan, Martin Keoghan, Shane Walsh. Subs: John Donnelly for Kenny (23), David Blanchfield for Heary (h-t), Conor Fogarty for Doyle (h-t), Alan Murphy for Butler (39), Gearoid Dunne for Murphy (61).

Referee- Patrick Murphy (Carlow)