Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



Tailteann Cup: Antrim maintain good form

Antrim and Fermanagh clashed in the Tailteann Cup at BOX-IT Athletic Grounds.

Antrim and Fermanagh clashed in the Tailteann Cup at BOX-IT Athletic Grounds.

Tailteann Cup Group Four

Antrim 3-12 Fermanagh 1-12

By Gareth Cauldwell at BOX-IT Athletic Grounds

Antrim secured their place in the quarter final of the Tailteann Cup with a victory over Fermanagh,

A point separated the sides in added on time at the end of the game, but Antrim made sure of the win as they hit late, late goals from Oisin Doherty and Ruiari McCann (St Mary’s) to finish up seven-point victors, leaving Fermanagh to face a preliminary quarter final tie next weekend.

Fermanagh, needing a win to leapfrog Antrim in the table, had started the brighter of the sides and with Sean Quigley (2), Tommy McCaffrey and Ultan Kelm knocking over points they moved into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead by the 16th minute.

However, Antrim began to find their feet after this as they rattled off five points in a row from Dominic McEnhill (2), the impressive Adam Loughran (2), Ruairi McCann (Creggan) to move into a 0-6 to 0-4 lead.

Quigley landed Fermanagh’s first point in 20 minutes to close the gap back to one, but a fine score from Peter Healy left Antrim two in front at half time, 0-7 to 0-5.

Kieran Donnelly’s Ernemen though came storming out of the blocks in the second half as they turned the game in their favour.

Kelm slotted over a point 17 seconds after the resumption before Ryan Jones levelled matters. And it got even better for Fermanagh when Kelm and Tommy McCaffrey combined to set up Ryan Lyons to arrow to the corner of the net.

When Kelm then rattled over a splendid effort it put Fermanagh four ahead and they seemed in control, but Antrim came right back at them.

McEnhill got them up and running with a point from a free before corner back Patrick McCormick clipped over an excellent point in the 51st minute.

And moments later they had the ball in the Fermanagh net as Conhuir Johnston put Loughran through and he finished low to the corner to put Antrim into a 1-9 to 1-8 advantage.

It was tit for tat after this with Ronan McCaffrey, and Garvan Jones on target for Fermanagh while Loughran and goalkeeper Michael Byrne (45) replied for Antrim to keep them a point to the good.

Ruairi McCann (Creggan) and Quigley then traded points, but it was Antrim who finished the stronger and substitute Doherty made sure of the win as his attempt at a point dropped into the corner of the Fermanagh net to put four between the sides deep in added on time.

Antrim rounded things off with their third goal as Ruairi McCann (St Mary’s) finished from close range to leave it 3-13 to 1-12 at the finish.

Scorers for Antrim: A Loughran 1-3, D McEnhill 0-5 (5fs), R McCann (St Mary’s) 1-0, O Doherty 1-0, R McCann (Creggan) 0-2, P Healy 0-1, P McCormick 0-1, M Byrne 0-1 (45)

Scorers for Fermanagh: S Quigley 0-4 (1f), U Kelm 0-3, R Lyons 1-0, G Jones 0-2, R Jones 0-1, T McCaffrey 0-1, R McCaffrey 0-1

Antrim: M Byrne; P McCormick, P Healy, E McCabe; D McAleese, C McGettigan, M Jordan; C Stewart, C Hynds; C McLarnon, A Loughran, R McCann; P McBride, R McCann, D McEnhill

Subs: C Johnston for McLarnon (46), D Lynch for McGettigan, R Boyle for McAleese (64), O Doherty for R McCann (71).

Fermanagh: S McNally; L Flanagan, C Cullen, L Cullen; S McGullion, J Cassidy, C McManus; R Jones, B Horan; C McShea, R Lyons, R McCaffrey; U Kelm, T McCaffrey, S Quigley

Subs: G Cavanagh for McManus (35), G Jones for Lyons (46), C McGee for Horan (54), J Largo Elis for McGullion (64), D McGurn for Quigley (67).

Referee: L Devenney (Mayo).