Éila Kilcoyne, 1, ag ceiliúradh le Peileadóirí an Chnoic Mhóir tar éis dóibh Craobh Shinsir Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan
Éila Kilcoyne, 1, ag ceiliúradh le Peileadóirí an Chnoic Mhóir tar éis dóibh Craobh Shinsir Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan 

Mayo SFC Final: Knockmore edge out Breaffy

Connacht Gold Mayo SFC Final


By Colm Gannon in MacHale Park

The Paddy Moclair Cup is heading back to Knockmore for the first time since 1997 thanks to a two point win over Breaffy in MacHale Park.

Ray Dempsey’s charges lead by their dynamic duo in attack of Darren McHale and Peter Naughton along with some stout defending and smart attacking play were deserving winners.

A third quarter surge which saw them come from a two points down at half time and playing a man down for most of it with Aidan Orme in the sin bin was where the game was won - they outscored Breaffy six points to three in that period and never let their foot off the gas until the end.

Knockmore got off to the perfect start in a sun splashed MacHale Park and were leading 1-1 to 0-0 after seven minutes.

Darren McHale palmed the ball to the back of the net at the back post after Peter Naughton beat Dylan Cannon for pace down the right flank and laid the ball across for his centre half forward to finish.

Before that Keith Ruttledge had kicked the opening score of the game two minutes in firing over the bar after being played into space behind the Breaffy defence.

The west Mayo men got their scoreboard moving in their direction with when Colm Flynn flung one over the bar from distance nine minutes in, that score was quickly replied to by a Peter Naughton effort and two minutes later Breaffy struck their second through Mattie Ruane.

A Tommy O’Reilly free cut the gap back to two points just before the water break and for the second quarter of the half it was all Breaffy who reeled off four answered points with Ruane landing one as did Conor O’Shea and brace from O’Reilly to send Breaffy in leading 0-7 to 1-2 at the break.

The third quarter saw Knockmore hassle and harry Breaffy and force them into a number of turnovers and they took advantage on the scoreboard outscoring their opponents 0-6 to to 0-3 to go into the final stages leading by a single point and it all to play for.

McHale hit four points in that third quarter with Keith Ruttledge and Peter Naughton also getting points in that run to leave their side leading 1-8 to 0-10 heading down the home straight.

Breaffy came chasing in the closing stages and but a number of couple of bad wides along with loose passes cost them as Knockmore’s pressure saw them break down the field and a brace of points from Aidan Orme and one each from Peter Naughton and Kieran Langan saw them home and a ninth Mayo senior championship under their arms.

Scorers for Knockmore: Darren MacHale (1-4), Peter Naughton (0-3, 1m), Aidan Orme (0-2, 1f), Keith Ruttledge (0-2), Kieran Langan (0-1)

Scorers for Breaffy: Tommy O’Reilly (0-5, 3f), Conor O’Shea (0-4, 1f), Matthew Ruane (0-2), Colm Flynn (0-1), Robert Hennelly (0-1, 1f)

KNOCKMORE: Colm Reape; Sean Holmes, David McHale, Alan Stadler; Nathan Armstrong, Kieran King, Conor Flynn; Kevin McLoughlin, Shane McHale; Pearse Ruttledge, Darren MacHale, Connell Dempsey; Peter Naughton, Aidan Orme, Keith Ruttledge. Subs: Sean Ruttledge for Pearse Ruttledge, Kiearan Langan for Flynn, Marcus Parke for Armstrong, Keelan Hopkins for Keith Ruttledge 

BREAFFY: Robert Hennelly; Rory Martyn, Dylan Cannon, Keith Mulchrone; Daire Morrin, Seamus O’Shea, Michael Hall; Matthew Ruane, Conor O’Shea; Robert Fadden, James Minogue, Tommy O’Reilly; Gareth Dunne, Aidan O’Shea, Colm Flynn. Subs: Ben Murphy for Dunne, Stephen McDermoot for Flynn, Mark Dervan for Mulchrone, Colm Kelly for Cannon

Referee: John Glavey (Aghamore)