Promising Mayo Under 20 forward Tommy Conroy.
Promising Mayo Under 20 forward Tommy Conroy.

Mayo and Galway advance in EirGrid Connacht U20 Championship

EirGrid Connacht Under 20 Football Championship Semi-Finals


MAYO 1-25 SLIGO 1-6

Galway will take on reigning champions Mayo in the Eirgrid Connacht U-20 final after seeing off Roscommon by 0-17 to 1-7 in Kiltoom.

Holders Mayo ran out convincing winners over Sligo by 1-25 to 1-6 in Castlebar to set up a final meeting between the rivals.

Oisin Mullin’s late goal was the final blow for Sligo as Mayo cruised home in Elverys MacHale Park.

Evan O’Brien and Tommy Conroy combined for 11 points, while Barry Gorman’s for and Sean Carrol’s goal were Sligo’s best offerings.

Champions Mayo did have wind advantage in that opening half at MacHale Park, but even a hurricane could not have halted their dominance. By the 11th minute they were 0-4 to 0-1 clear as the excellent Tommy Conroy quickly found his range, while Barry Gorman’s score on the turn was a brief boost for the dominated Yeats men.

A black card for Mayo corner back Jack Coyne was a blow for Mayo in the 13th minute but it barely registered. Alan Reilly converted a free for Sligo after that, but Mayo kicked on with the final eight points of the half to lead by 0-12 to 0-2 at the break.

Sligo could have closed the gap to five points before the interval, but Reilly saw his penalty well saved by Jamie McNicholas. Sligo didn’t help themselves in that opening period either as too often they had passes intercepted as they tried to build out of defence, while their final ball in attack often lacked accuracy.

There was no change at the turnround and Mayo scored six of the first seven point of the half to lead by 15 points, and in the end Sean Carroll’s goal ten minutes from time hardly dented the winning margin.

In Kiltoom, Padraic Joyce’s Galway held an edge throughout. They had seven different scorers as they by 0-11 to 1-3 at the break.

Roscommon got a goal from Gerry Galvin in the 13 minute after full-forward Paul Carey had earlier been denied by Galway goalkeeper Oran Burke.

Matthew Tierney was superb for Galway but after Rory Cunningham extended their lead after the break, Roscommon hit back.

Two points from Ronan Dowd and one from James Fitzpatrick them hope and that left a goal between the sides as Shane Curran's men battled back.

That was as close as they got as Galway regrouped and sealed their place in the final with Cunningham, Darragh Silke and Liam Costello hitting good points.

Roscommom’s Brian Derwin saw a penalty fly over the bar in the first minute of added time with six points between the sides as Galway advanced to the final.