Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



Electric Ireland Connacht MFC round-up

Galway played Mayo in the Electric Ireland Minor Football Championship at Tuam Stadium.

Galway played Mayo in the Electric Ireland Minor Football Championship at Tuam Stadium.

Electric Ireland Connacht Minor Football Championship

GALWAY 0-15 MAYO 1-9

By Daragh Small at Tuam Stadium

Matthew Cooley scored four points as Galway reached the Connacht U-17 final with a three-point win over Mayo at Tuam Stadium.

Galway held a narrow 0-11 to 1-6 lead at half-time despite Jack Mahon’s first half goal. But Donal Ó Fátharta’s side were in the ascendency in the third quarter. And Mayo came with a late revival, but Galway held on.

Galway had back-to-back victories coming into this game, but Mayo slipped up against Roscommon and that 4-12 to 0-11 defeat had them on the back foot.

Cooley scored 2-2 in Galway’s 22-point win over Roscommon first time out, and he scored three early points to pile on the pressure here.

He opened the scoring in the fifth minute and when he scored his third point Galway held a 0-4 to 0-2 lead in the 12th minute.

Ultan O’Reilly and Frank Irwin scored some impressive points for Mayo, but Galway seemed to have more control in the sweltering heat.

Ryan Monahan came up from left wing back to add another Galway point from a free, and then then Cathal Sweeney advanced from the right wing of their defence to send over a stunning effort.

Galway were in charge, but then Mayo scored 1-2 without reply, with points from Martin Ball and Enda Hession before Hession and Liam Donoghue combined to help Mahon blast his shot in the top corner of Donie Halloran’s net.

That 20th minute goal gave Mayo a 1-4 to 0-6 advantage and the lead for the first time. But Galway were composed and answered that emphatically with four points in a row.

Cooley scored his fourth point to give the hosts a 0-10 to 1-6 lead with two minutes of normal time remaining, and the teams traded scores before Ball’s closing point meant Mayo were 0-11 to 1-6 in arrears at half-time.

Liam Judge and Sweeney scored two quick-fire points to ease Galway further clear at the start of the second half, and they already looked to be on their way to victory, but Mayo regrouped.

Ultan O’Reilly scored a couple of points to draw them closer but Tony Gill came up from centre back to restore Galway’s 0-14 to 1-8 lead.

Mayo were back in the game but began to fire erratically and they had registered six second half wides when Cox pushed Galway four points ahead.

And their chances faded when Fionnan Ryan’s goal was disallowed for a push, and then four minutes from full-time, substitute Ciaran Mylett was shown a straight red card. Liam Donoghue also hit the post at the death.

Leitrim enjoyed a fine 2-14 to 0-13 success against Sligo in the other fixture played on Friday evening.

Scorers for Galway: Matthew Cooley 0-4, Cathal Sweeney 0-3, Daniel Cox 0-3, Ryan Monahan 0-1 (f), Conor Raftery 0-1, Éanna McCormack 0-1, Liam Judge 0-1, Tony Gill 0-1

Scorers for Mayo: Jack Mahon 1-0, Martin Ball 0-4, Ultan O’Reilly 0-3 (1f), Frank Irwin 0-1, Enda Hession 0-1 (f).

GALWAY: Donie Halloran; Ethan Walsh, Seán Black, Cian Deane; Ryan Monahan, Tony Gill, Cathal Sweeney; Paul Kelly, Conor Raftery; Liam Judge, Éanna McCormack, Oisín McCormack; Oisín Gormally, Daniel Cox, Matthew Cooley.

Subs: Aidan Halloran for McCormack (38), Eoghan Tinney for Gormally (38), Seán Horkan for McCormack (48), Conor Halbard for Raftery (58), Raftery for Halbard (61).

MAYO: Ronan Connolly; Alfie Morrison, Luke Dawson, Seán Holmes; Evan Ivers, Conor Dunleavy, Aiden Cosgrave; Jack Carney, Frank Irwin; Liam Donoghue, Jack Mahon, Liam Óg Horkan; Martin Ball, Ultan O’Reilly, Enda Hession.

Subs: Lee Traynor for Mahon (5 blood), Mahon for Traynor (9), Ruairi Keane for Ivers (30), Traynor for Mahon (31), Fionnan Ryan for Óg Horkan (half-time), Ciaran Mylett for Keane (51), Eoghan McHale for Cosgrove (54), Fergal Sweeney for O’Reilly (57), O’Reilly for Sweeney (60), Sweeney for Dunleavy (61), Conor Calvey for Hession (61).

REFEREE: Brendan Healy (Roscommon).