Netwatch Cullen Park.
Netwatch Cullen Park.

Carlow SFC Final: Palatine edge out Tinryland

Carlow SFC Final

Palatine 2-8 Tinryland 2-6

By Kieran Murphy at Netwatch Cullen Park

All the tension and excitement took place in the final quarter of the Carlow senior football final at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday with Tinryland overturning a nine point deficit early in the second half to get within a point of the eventual winners.

There was an electric start to the game when Palatine swooped for a fourth minute goal. Before that Tinryland’s Maurice Lawler and Palatine’s Shane O’Neill had swapped early points.

The three-pointer came directly after Tinryland had conceded another point. Palatine were alert to the short kick-out and Jamie Kenny was on hand to fire home from close range. Tinryland absorbed that shock well with Diarmaid Walshe landing two points one from a free and the other from play.

Palatine were strong in defence under Tinryland pressure and were happy to break forward at speed. O’Neill added another point while Joshua Egan was also on target. Minutes before half-time, Palatine broke quickly and when Bryan McMahon was tripped in the act of shooting, Thomas Sheehan buried the resultant penalty. At the interval, Palatine led 2-4 to 0-3.

The lead went out to nine points when Ciaran Moran and Conor Crowley added points from play. At the start of the final quarter, Tinryland were given a lifeline when Walshe’s 45 found its way to the back of the Palatine net. He added a point and the Tinryland support in the stand were on their feet when he floated over another point.

Palatine were now on the back-foot and also lost David Reid to a straight red card.

Cormac O’Brien and Walshe points reduced the margin to three. This is where the Bennekerry based side showed their resilience and Shane O’Neill converted a free to push the lead out to four. Another high ball was met by Shane Redmond and the Tinryland man fisted home. With the game deep in injury time, Paul Broderick pushed a difficult free just wide and after that Palatine rode out the storm.

They came forward, won a free and man of the match, Conor Crowley, glided the ball over the bar for the clinching point.

Scorers for Palatine: Jamie Kenny and Tomas Sheehan (pen) 1-0 each, Shane O'Neill (1f) and Conor Crowley (1f) 0-3 each, Ciaran Moran and Joshua Egan 0-1 each.

Scorers for Tinryland: Diarmaid Walshe 1-5 (1-0 45, 4fs), Shane Redmond 1-0, Cormac O'Brien and Maurice Lawler 0-1 each.

Palatine: Craig Kearney; Jack Brennan, Stephen Reilly, Gavin Healy; David Reid, Conor Lawlor, Ciaran Moran; Jason Kane, Finbarr Kavanagh, Tomas Sheehan, Shane O’Neill, Bryan McMahon; Jamie Kenny, Joshua Egan, Conor Crowley.

Subs: Tomas Kenny for Sheehan (49), Conor Doherty for Brennan (49), Andrew Kehoe for J. Kenny (58), Cillian Duff for McMahon (58), Cathal O’Neill for Egan (63).

Tinryland: Cathal Gaffney; Danny Moran, Shane Redmond (1-0), Conor Ryan; Conor O’Toole, Jonah Dunne, Niall Lowry; Barry Power, Diarmaid Walshe; Matthew O’Toole, Cormac Walshe, Conor McGrath; Conor Brennan, Paddy Regan, Maurice Lawler.

Subs: John Murphy for Ryan (h/t), Cian Lawlor for Power (h/t), Paul Broderick for Lawler (32), Cormac O’Brien for Brennan (40), Mark Mullen for M O’Toole (55).

Referee: Jonathan Murphy (St Mullins).