London manager Ciaran Deely.

London manager Ciaran Deely.

Allianz FL D4: Draws in Ruislip and Belfast

Allianz Football League Division Four



Anthony McDermott’s injury-time goal helped London salvage a draw against Limerick, while Wicklow failed to bounce back from their defeat at Ruislip last weekend, and they could only manage a draw with Antrim in Division 4 of the NFL.

London lost their first game against Carlow, but since then they have responded brilliantly, and were surprise 1-16 to 1-10 victors against Wicklow last time out.

It finished 2-8 to 2-8 at McGovern Park. The hosts had not defeated Limerick in the league since 1999 and they trailed by 1-4 to 1-2 at half-time.

Limerick had a strong breeze at their backs in the first-half and they should have been further ahead were it not for their inaccurate shooting and eight wides.

Fergal McMahon scored a goal from a penalty for London in the 17th minute, and Limerick only had two frees from Jamie Lee to show for the efforts as the game approached the interval.

But Garrett Noonan and Danny Neville added further Limerick points to tie up matters, on the half-hour mark, and just before the interval Limerick scored their first goal. 

It was Oola clubman Josh Ryan who showed his strength to hold off a number of would-be tacklers, to finish low to the net. 

Daniel Daly added to Limerick’s lead on the resumption, but then London scored four points in a row.

Adrian Moyles scored twice to edge Limerick back in front with seven minutes remaining. Ryan scored Limerick’s goal as the game ticked over into stoppage time.

But London still had one more chance and McDermott scored the leveller with six minutes of injury-time played.

Conor Healy also scored late to level the game for John Evans’ Wicklow, after their shock defeat to London, as they snatched a 0-12 to 0-12 draw at Corrigan Park. 

Wicklow had Seanie Furlong and Theo Smyth sent-off, but Healy’s late point rescued a draw after CJ McGourty had given Antrim the lead.

The sides were level 0-6 to 0-6 at half-time in a game played on a good pitch despite the treacherous weather conditions for football.

Daniel Keane scored first for Wicklow, and their goalkeeper Mark Jackson doubled the advantage for the visitors.

Antrim went 0-4 to 0-0 down before Patrick McBride scored two frees in a row, and then Ryan Murray closed the deficit to the minimum.

Jackson gave Wicklow a narrow lead coming up to half-time, but Antrim were defiant and Murray slotted a free to leave the sides level at half-time.

Healy and McBride traded scores at the start of the second-half and the teams continued to go point for point, before Furlong got his red card.

Smyth went shortly after and Antrim looked to have won it with McGourty’s free, but that was cancelled out by Healy at the end.