Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG



All Ireland SFC Qualifier: Mayo prevail after extra-time

Look back at GAANOW highlights of a dramatic game in Elverys MacHale Park as Mayo saw off the challenge of Derry

All Ireland SFC Qualifiers Round 2A

MAYO 2-21 DERRY 1-13

After extra-time

By John Fallon at Elverys MacHale Park

Mayo came good in extra-time to see off the brave challenge of a Derry side who looked set for a surprise win for long periods of this clash at Elvery’s MacHale Park in Castlebar.

But Mayo pulled clear to advance to the next round with goals from substitutes Conor Loftus and Jason Doherty crucial to their cause.

Derry only managed to score one point in extra-time as their 2017 Championship campaign fizzled out.

Mayo, who made two late changes with Aidan O’Shea and Donal Vaughan coming in, had the breeze in the opening half but trailed by 0-8 to 0-7 at the break.

Mayo shot eight wides in that opening half but kept in contention with five pointed frees from Cillian O’Connor.

O’Connor also came close to snatching the opening goal but Derry goalkeeper Ben McKinless did well after an effort from Andy Moran had come back off the woodwork after 19 minutes.

Derry, too, had goal chances, with wing-back Carlus McWilliams being denied from point blank range by David Clarke.

The sides were level three times in the opening half, with Derry opening up a 0-4 to 0-2 lead after 17 minutes as Mayo squandered some good chances with the wind.

O’Connor’s accuracy from frees kept them in touch with Andy Moran the only forward to score from play for the All-Ireland finalists in the opening half, although Lee Keegan went forward to fist a point.

Niall Loughlin landed five points for Derry in the opening half, four of them from frees and one excellent effort from play after 10 minutes.

Ryan Bell was a threat throughout for Derry and he kicked two excellent points, while Benny Heron also found the range for the Ulster side.

The crowd of 11,465 were treated to an exciting second-half with Mayo drawing level at 0-10 each going into the final quarter.

Loughlin and James Kielt opened up a two points lead for Derry, but Paddy Durcan sparked a Mayo revival when he went forward to score three minutes from time.

Then a good move involving Seamus O’Shea and Cillian O’Connor set up Conor Loftus for a smashing goal, with the substitute from Crossmolina following quickly with a point to put Mayo 1-12 to 0-12 in front going into stoppage time.

But Derry never gave up and forced the game to extra-time when Mark Lynch fisted home a delivery from McWilliams.

Mayo got on top in the first period of extra-time with Jason Doherty shooting a goal, while at the other end David Clarke saved a penalty from Kielt, although they lost Durcan to a red card and Keegan to injury.

**Scorers for Mayo: **Cillian O’Connor 0-12 (9fs), Conor Loftus and Jason Doherty 1-1 each, Andy Moran 0-2, Lee Keegan, Paddy Durcan, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O’Shea, and Diarmuid O’Connor 0-1 each.

Scorers for Derry: Niall Loughlin 0-6 (5fs), Mark Lynch 1-1, Ryan Bell 0-3, Benny Heron, Danny Heavron, James Kielt (f) 0-1 each.

**MAYO: **David Clarke; Brendan Harrison, Ger Cafferkey, Chris Barrett; Colm Boyle, Lee Keegan, Patrick Durcan; Donal Vaughan, Tom Parsons; Fergal Boland, Aidan O’Shea, Stephen Coen; Kevin McLoughlin, Cillian O’Connor, Andy Moran.

Subs: Diarmuid O’Connor for O’Shea (24-25 mins, temp) & for Boland (h-t), Seamus O’Shea for Vaughan (55 mins), Jason Doherty for Coen (55 mins), Conor Loftus for Moran (59 mins), David Drake for Harrison (64 mins), Caolan Crowe for Barrett (81 mins), Shane Nally for Keegan (85 mins), Danny Kirby for McLoughlin (87 mins).

DERRY: Ben McKinless; Niall Keenan, Brendan Rogers, Karl McKaigue; Ciaran McFaul, Chrissy McKaigue, Carlus McWilliams; Conor McAtamney, Danny Heavron; Ryan Bell, Niall Loughlin, Enda Lynn; Danny Tallon, Michael McEvoy, Benny Heron.

Subs: Emmett McGuckin for McAtamney (35 mins, black card), Mark Lynch for Tallon (46 mins), James Kielt for Bell (58 mins), Shane McGuigan for Lynn (68 mins), Conor Nevin for McEvoy (75 mins), Gavin O’Neill for Loughlin (85 mins), Conor Doherty for Heron (87 mins).

REFEREE: Maurice Deegan (Laois).