GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship

Mayo 1-13 0-12 Monaghan

Round 1
Hastings Insurance MacHale Park, Castlebar
Barry Cassidy
Extra Time if Necessary
All Ireland SFC R1: Mayo survive Monaghan test
Ryan McAnespie, Monaghan, and Aidan O'Shea, Mayo, in action.

All Ireland SFC R1: Mayo survive Monaghan test

All Ireland SFC Round One

Mayo 1-13 Monaghan 0-12

By Colm Gannon at Hastings Insurance MacHale Park

Mayo secured their spot in the second round of the qualifiers of the Championships following a hard fought win over Monaghan in Hastings Insurance MacHale Park. 

The hosts led by three at the break, and pushed themselves four to the good early in the second half when Cillian O’Connor fired over his only score from play out of the 1-6 he registered. 

Monagahan cut the gap back to two by the 42 minute through points from Kieran Duffy and Mícheál Bannigan, but were wasteful with other chances that came their way. 

Mayo had gone 20 minutes in the second half from O’Connor’s score until they registered their next through a long range effort from Lee Keegan and they were four clear again on 62 minutes when O’Connor pointed a free after Jack Carney was fouled.

Shane Carey kept Monaghan in touch with the first of two pointed frees he landed after his introduction - but scores from Darren McHale and O’Connor again looked to have Mayo home and hosed as they were five up with normal time almost done. 

But Monaghan kept going and Conor Leonard pointed as Mayo started to stutter in injury time. Carey put just three between teams on 71 minutes and two minutes later Aidan O’Shea misjudged his hand pass back to Lee Keegan and Leonard nipped in to get the ball, but referee Barry Cassidy waved play on.

Paddy Durcan drove over the final point of the day a minute later the game was done and Mayo were heading into the next round. 

Mayo got the scoreboard moving through a Cillian O’Connor free five minutes in after McManus was shown a black card. Eoghan McLaughlin levelled it up from close range and they then hit the front when Cillian O’Connor netted a penalty after Oisin Mullin saw an effort stopped by a foot block. O’Connor put another free over to have Mayo leading 1-3 to 0-2.  

Monaghan started the brightest and were 0-2 to 0-0 up inside the opening few minutes thanks to a brace of points from Gary Mohan. Mayo went in leading by three at the break, thanks to a spell where they hit 1-3 without reply when Monaghan were down to 14 men after Conor McManus was shown a black card for a trip on Aidan O’Shea in the lead up to Mayo’s first score of the day. 

Monaghan worked themselves back into the game when they went back to 15 with Jack McCarron having a big influence kicking three points before the turn around along with scores from Conor McCarthy and Conor McManus. 

Mayo got another score form O’Connor along with a Rob Hennelly free and a Jack Carney point from play to go in leading 1-7 to 0-7 at the short whistle. The early burst, including O'Connor's goal from a penalty, proved crucial.

Scores for Mayo: Cillian O’Connor (1-6, 1-0 pen, 5f), Lee Keegan (0-1), Patrick Durcan (0-1), Eoghan McLaughlin (0-1), Matthew Ruane (0-1), Jack Carney (0-1), Darren McHale (0-1), Robbie Hennelly (0-1)

Scorers for Monaghan: Jack McCarron (0-3, 1m), Gary Mohan (0-2), Shane Carey (0-2. 2f), Conor McManus (0-1, 1f), Kieran Duffy (0-1), Conor Leonard (0-1), Micheal Brannigan (0-1)

Mayo: Robert Hennelly; Lee Keegan, Oisin Mullin, Enda Hession; Patrick Durcan, Stephen Coen, Eoghan McLaughlin; Aidan O’Shea, Matthew Ruane; Bryan Walsh, Aidan Orme, Diarmuid O’Connor; James Carr, Jack Carney, Cillian O’Connor. 

Subs: Kevin McLoughlin for Carr, Darren McHale for Orme, Conor Loftus for Walsh, Jason Doherty for Carney, Padraig O’Hora for Cillian O’Connor.

Monaghan: Rory Beggan; Kieran Duffy, Conor Boyle, Ryan Wylie; Karl O’Connell, Dessie Ward, Ryan McAnespie; Darren Hughes, Niall Kearns; Conor McCarthy, Kieran Hughes, Micheál Brannigan; Jack McCarron, Gary Mohan, Conor McManus. 

Subs: Andrew Woods for Hughes, Conor Leonard for McCarthy, Shane Carey for McManus, Sean Jones for Bannigan, Fintan Kelly for Hugues. 

Referee: Barry Cassidy (Derry).