GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship

Galway 0-8 0-16 Monaghan

Quarter-Final Group 1 Phase 3
Pearse Stadium
Conor Lane
All Ireland QF: Monaghan win in the west
Conor McManus, Monaghan, and Declan Kyne, during the All Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group 1 clash at Pearse Stadium.

All Ireland QF: Monaghan win in the west

All Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group 1


By Cian O’Connell at Pearse Stadium

Unsurprisingly this Monaghan win was celebrated furiously in the west as Malachy O’Rourke’s team secured a first All Ireland semi-final appearance since 1988.

Monaghan were primed for this tussle in the west and Galway just couldn’t cope with the grit and determination summoned by the visitors.

Many wondered whether David Clifford’s splendid last gasp goal for Kerry in Clones a fortnight ago would derail Monaghan’s hopes of progression, but the response at Pearse Stadium was emphatic.

The opening period went according to plan for Monaghan, who were roared on by a passionate travelling support in Salthill.

Galway were frustrated for vast chunks of the first half by Monaghan, who thundered into the physical exchanges departing at the break armed with a 0-7 to 0-5 advantage.

Monaghan ran the ball smartly with Ryan McAnespie clipping two fine points, while Darren Hughes worked diligently throughout the pitch.

Vinny Corey and Colin Walshe also ventured forward to nail fine scores for Malachy O’Rourke’s outfit, who settled smartly to accumulate a 0-5 to 0-2 lead by the 25th minute.

Fintan Kelly, Corey, Hughes, McAnespie, and Walshe all contributed scores, but Galway did improve as the interval approached.

Peter Cooke lofted a nice point from distance which drew a response from McManus (free) and McAnespie as Monaghan edged four clear,

Gary O’Donnell and Shane Walsh (free) narrowed the gap, but Monaghan, primed to force turnovers, deservedly led by two at the turnaround.

After the restart, though, Monaghan continued to inflict damage clipping four of the next five points with McManus and Hughes prominent.

Suddenly Monaghan’s cushion was five and Galway were in significant bother when Eamonn Brannigan mined a point.

Dermot Malone, who was hugely industrious for Monaghan, and Ian Burke traded scores, but O’Rourke’s team were dominant.

Malone stitched the play effectively as a McAnespie point was followed by frees from McManus and Rory Beggan. Drew Wylie, Colin Walshe, and Damien Comer were all sent off for second yellow cards offences in the dying embers of the game, but it scarcely bothered Monaghan.

Fittingly McAnespie iced the Monaghan cake deep into stoppage time and they will head for Croke Park next weekend heartened.

Scorers for Monaghan: Conor McManus 0-5 (4fs), Ryan McAnespie 0-4, Darren Hughes 0-2, Colin Walshe, Vinny Corey, Dermot Malone, Fintan Kelly, Rory Beggan (f) 0-1 each.

Scorers for Galway: Eamonn Brannigan and Shane Walsh (2fs) 0-2 each, Peter Cooke, Ian Burke, Gary O’Donnell, and Damien Comer 0-1 each.

MONAGHAN: Rory Beggan; Ryan Wylie, Drew Wylie, Kieran Duffy; Karl O’Connell, Colin Walshe, Vinny Corey; Niall Kearns, Darren Hughes; Fintan Kelly, Dermot Malone, Shane Carey; Conor McCarthy, Ryan McAnespie, Conor McManus.

Subs: Jack McCarron for McCarthy (58), Neil McAdam for Kearns (63), Paudie McKenna for Carey (66), Dessie Mone for O’Connell (68).

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Gary O’Donnell; Peter Cooke, Tom Flynn; Sean Kelly, Shane Walsh, Eamonn Brannigan; Adrian Varley, Damien Comer, Ian Burke.

Subs: Patrick Sweeney for Varley (43), Ciaran Duggan for Cooke (52), Johnny Heaney for O’Ceallaigh (57), Padraic Cunningham for Brannigan (60), David Wynne for Kerin (63), Danny Cummins for Burke (68).

REFEREE: Conor Lane (Cork).