Applications for transfers and sanctions should be made online through the GAA Player Transfer System within Foireann. The system facilitates the following applications:
- Inter-County Transfer: For a player who wishes to join a Club in another County outside their current Province.
- Intra-Provincial Transfer: For a player who wishes to join a Club in another County within the same Province.
- USGAA Sanction: For a player intending to play for a Club in an area governed by the USGAA Board from 1 March to the end of October in any one year.
- New York Sanction: For a player intending to play for a Club in an area governed by the New York Board from 1 March to the end of October in any one year.
- Canadian Sanction: For a player intending to play for a Club in an area governed by the Canadian Board from 1 March to the end of October in any one year.
- J1 Sanction: For a player intending to play for a Club in an area governed by the USGAA Board on a J1 Visa from 1 March to the end of October in any one year. The J1 Work and Travel Programme Visa refers to the four-month Visa for 3rd level students.
- Weekend Authorisation: A Weekend Authorisation is required by any player intending to play for a Club in a game under the jurisdiction of the New York Board for a given weekend.
- European Student Permit: For a player who is pursuing a full-time course of study in a country under the jurisdiction of the European Board. This permit allows the player to play with a Club in Europe and with the player’s own Club.
- Inter-County Hurling Permit: For Senior Inter-County Hurling Competitions, a player, subject to the conditions in the GAA Official Guide, shall be entitled to: A) Declare for the First County of either of their parents; or B) Play for the County of Residence, provided this County is a designated County, while continuing to be eligible to play with their Own Club.
It does not apply to transfers within a County which continue to be processed by each County Committee.
A new online system launched in December 2023 to makes it easier for players and administrators to make and process applications.
The key change to note is that players must start applications via their Foireann accounts unlike the previous system where the joining Club Secretary started the application.
User guides on using the system are available via the Foireann help centre: Help Centre.
If you have technical issues with using the system, please submit a support ticket: Support Ticket Form.
A list of answers to common questions are also available via this link: GAA Player Transfer System FAQs
- Information relating to Club transfers can be found in the GAA Official Guide, Part 1 & GAA Codes.
- For information pertaining to Club transfers within a County, please contact your County Board.
- For information pertaining to Club transfers within a Province, please contact the Provincial Council you are transferring to.
Live Inter-County Transfer List
- Inter-County Transfer List – (An Inter-County Transfer will appear on this list three days after the relevant County Secretaries have been notified of the decision on an application)
- Inter County Transfer Form (The Inter-County Transfer Form may be used for all Cross-Provincial and Overseas Transfers)
- Inter County Hurling Permit Form
Overseas Sanctions Information
For information on Authorisations, Permits and Sanctions, visit the Overseas Sanctions section.