Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG


Round-up: Thursday’s Munster Minor Hurling Championship action

Tipperary proved too strong for Waterford in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship. 

Tipperary proved too strong for Waterford in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship. 

Electric Ireland Munster MHC round 2

Waterford 2-14 Tipperary 3-16

Cork 1-16 Limerick 1-10

By Stephen Barry

Tipperary survived a dramatic Waterford fightback from 12 points down at half-time to secure their second successive Munster MHC round-robin victory.

Three first-half goals from Adam Ryan, Cillian Minogue, and Billy O’Brien sent the Premier in 3-9 to 0-6 ahead but with the Fraher Field wind behind them, the hosts were back within three by the 47th minute.

Shane Power and Gearóid O’Shea got the majors but Waterford, who lost to Clare last week, couldn’t muster any score in the final 10 minutes. Tipp sealed it with stoppage-time points from substitutes Darragh O’Hora and Jack Cahill, son of senior boss Liam.

The Déise opened the scoring from a Mark Hartley free but Tipp jumped ahead with the next 1-2, the goal from Ryan after a skillful pick up from Minogue under pressure.

Points from Jack and Shane Power would keep the hosts in touch at 1-5 to 0-5 behind after 20 minutes. From there, Tipp would outscore them 2-4 to 0-1 by the break.

The floodgates came ajar with Mingoue’s goal after an Eoghan Doughan free was batted down in front of the posts.

They added a third with the last act before half-time. After another classy pick up, this time from Euan Murray, Jake Donelan Houlihan’s delivery was whipped to the net by O’Brien, making it 3-9 to 0-6.

Backed by the wind, Waterford charged back into this contest. Shane Power scored an incredible individual goal, leaving six defenders in his wake before a tidy finish.

O’Shea had the next, smuggling the ball to the net after regaining possession. That made it 3-11 to 2-11 but Stefan Tobin (0-4) kept Tipp motoring before their subs made sure of the result.

At SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh, John Meyler’s Cork held off some late Limerick resistance to emerge 1-16 to 1-10 victors.

The Rebels, who lost their opener to Tipp, clinched the victory with a 59th-minute goal from Adam Lee, who produced an instinctive pull on Peter Barrett’s pass.

With Mark O’Brien accurate from placed balls, Cork had the better of the first half to lead 0-11 to 0-6.

Limerick did notch the final pair to close the gap to five but the hosts were still 0-15 to 0-8 ahead by the 47th minute.

A Patrick Kearney free and Diarmuid Hurley point were followed by a Jack Cosgrave penalty, after Danny Sheehan was fouled, to leave just two in the difference.

But O’Brien’s seventh point and Lee’s goal saw them home.