Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG


Round-up: Wednesday's EirGrid Ulster U20FC action

Monaghan proved too strong for Armagh in the EirGrid Ulster U20 football championship quarter-final this evening. 

Monaghan proved too strong for Armagh in the EirGrid Ulster U20 football championship quarter-final this evening. 

EirGrid Ulster U20 Football quarter-finals

DERRY 1-11 CAVAN 0-7


Derry and Monaghan were victorious in Wednesday’s Eirgrid Ulster U20 Football Championship quarter-finals, seeing off Cavan and Armagh respectively.

Group winners Tyrone and Donegal went straight to the semi-finals following the round robin stage, with the Red Hands set to face Monaghan at Omagh, and Tir Chonaill to take on the Oak Leafers at Ballybofey next Wednesday.

Derry got the better of the Breffni side by 1-11 to 0-7 at Owenbeg, with Oisin Doherty’s 1-4 haul making a big contribution.

Cavan made a lively start, racing into a two points lead through Barry Donnelly and Cian Keaney, but the home side settled to hit the next five scores, three of them from Oisin Doherty, with midfielder Ruairi Forbes and centre back Patrick McGurk adding to the potency going forward.

Keaney and Darragh Lovett kept the visitors in touch, but it was Derry who finished the half strongly, with Eoin Higgins landing a magnificent score, and Niall O’Donnell on target twice, as they carried a 0-8 to 0-4 lead into the interval.

Derry struck for a 42nd minute goal through Doherty, after Cavan had lost Favor Shehu to a black card, and they were in control for the remainder of the contest, conceding just three second half points, two of them scored by Daire Madden.

Points from Doherty, Forbes and Conall Heron completed the job for the home side as they steered a steady course to the last four.

Monaghan were 1-15 to 0-13 winners over Armagh at the Athletic Grounds, with Stephen Mooney contributing eight points, and Bobby McCaul grabbing the game’s only goal.

The home side was well on top during the opening quarter, edging into a three points lead with scores from Ryan Duffy, Aaron O’Neill, Ruairi O’Brien, from a ’45, and Fergal Boylan.

Two Stephen Mooney frees kept the Farney in touch, and they hit the front in the 19th minute when Bobby McCaul smashed home a goal.

Mooney’s accuracy from placed balls helped them open out a four points lead, which was trimmed back by Gareth Murphy ahead of the turnaround, which saw Monaghan lead by 1-7 to 0-7.

Mooney’s finishing from frees and play maintained the visitors’ dominance, with Dara McKenna and Oisin McGorman also splitting the posts.

And they held off a strong Armagh finish, despite points from Ruairi O’Brien and Padraig O’Keefe.