Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
Rathnew stalwart Leihgton Glynn drives forward in Aughrim.

Rathnew stalwart Leihgton Glynn drives forward in Aughrim.

Rathnew stun Vincent's

AIB Leinster SFC Quarter-Final


By Paul Keane at Aughrim

James Stafford pulled the strings in remarkable fashion late on in Aughrim as underdogs Rathnew dumped holders St Vincent's out of the AIB Leinster club SFC.

Rathnew trailed Brian Mullins' back to back Dublin champions by two points with 11 minutes to go, but conjured some thrilling form in the run-in to pull off the shock win.

The Wicklow kingpins outscored Vincent's by 1-3 to no score in that period with Paul Merrigan beginning the scoring spree.

But it was ex-Wicklow midfielder Stafford who etched his name in local folklore by hitting the game's last three scores including a decisive 57th minute goal.

He firstly flicked a point over, then scored a brilliant goal following a terrific one-handed catch before punting over the insurance score in a four-point win.

Rathnew's reward is a November 26 semi-final clash with Moorefield though Vincent's, for whom Tomas Quinn scored 1-3, will take some time to digest the unexpected loss.

Both sides came into the contest with huge local reputations as the most successful clubs in their county.

Vincent's claimed their fourth Dublin title in five seasons 13 days ago, beating Ballymun Kickhams in the final, though were forced to ring the changes here.

Fiachra Breathnach, Daithi Murphy and Luke Sheehy were all late additions to the team while Danny Staunton replaced Nicky Mernagh in attack for Rathnew following appendicitis.

The changes didn't affect the flow of Vincent's initially as the Marino men, battling into a stiff wind, strode 0-4 to 0-1 clear after the first quarter.

All-Ireland SFC medallists Shane Carthy and Diarmuid Connolly were on the mark along with Gavin Burke and Mayo native Enda Varley.

But Rathnew had plenty of possession and used it more effectively in the second quarter to surprisingly outscore the visitors by 0-6 to 0-2 before the interval.

Eddie Doyle scored back to back points for Rathnew, giving them real hope, before a burst of three-in-a-row that included one from ex-Wicklow and Ireland star Leighton Glynn.

Rathnew were in a strong position at the break with a 0-7 to 0-6 advantage though they did have to play into the strong wind themselves after the restart.

But it got even better for the 2001 provincial winners within 90 seconds of the resumption when Mark Doyle and Glynn pointed again.

Rathnew retained a three-point lead with 42 minutes on the clock, 0-10 to 0-7, but the Dubliners came roaring back into the contest.

Sub Ruairi Trainor pointed before Quinn struck 1-1 in the space of two minutes, his goal a palmed finish from close range after Varley's ball across.

Suddenly, Vincent's led by 1-9 to 0-10 and it looked as if they might finally open up with their best form to pull decisively clear.

But they didn't score again as Rathnew rallied in front of their home supporters and firstly reeled in the capital's finest before overtaking them in the closing stages.

Stafford's goal was a terrific strike worthy of settling the contest as he rose up one-handed to catch Ross O'Brien's long delivery and then finished left footed to the net.

*Scorers for Rathnew: *James Stafford 1-2, Mark Doyle 0-4 (3fs), Eddie Doyle 0-3 (2fs), Leighton Glynn 0-2, Ross O'Brien 0-1, Paul Merrigan 0-1.

Scorers for St Vincent's: Tomas Quinn 1-3 (1f, 145), Enda Varley 0-2, Diarmuid Connolly 0-1 (1f), Shane Carthy 0-1, Gavin Burke 0-1, Ruairi Trainor 0-1.

*RATHNEW: *Peter Dignam; Paul Merrigan, Damien Power, Jamie Snell; Enan Glynn, Ross O'Brien, Warren Kavanagh; James Stafford, Theo Smith; Graham Merrigan, Leighton Glynn, Danny Staunton; Eddie Doyle, Mark Doyle, Stephen Byrne.

Subs: John Manley for Staunton (52), Gary Byrne for S Byrne (57).

ST VINCENT'S: Michael Savage: Michael Concarr, Jarlath Curley, Craig Wilson; Fiachra Breathnach, Ger Brennan, Luke Sheehy; Lorcan Galvin, Daithi Murphy; Gavin Burke, Shane Carthy, Cormac Diamond; Enda Varley, Diarmuid Connolly, Tomas Quinn.

Subs: Eamonn Fennell for Galvin (36), Ruairi Trainor for Cormac Diamond (40), James McCusker for Brennan (44), Joe Feeney for Murphy (52), Tiernan Diamond for Burke (61).

REFEREE: David Gough (Meath).

AIB Leinster SFC Quarter-Finals




Niall Hurley-Lynch's last gasp point ensured Moorefield advanced to the penultimate stage in Leinster.

Eanna O'Connor's 55th minute goal for Moorefield was a critical score for the Kildare champions.

The accurate O'Connor was in brilliant form for Moorefield scoring 1-5 during a tight encounter.

Portlaoise led by 0-9 to 0-7 at half-time, but the second period was keenly contested.

Craig Rogers' sending off in the closing stages rocked Portlaoise, who leaked the decisive goal shortly after.

St Loman's delivered when it mattered most to secure victory against St Columba's, Mullinalaghta at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park.

Trailing by 1-10 to 0-7 with 20 minutes remaining Luke Dempsey's team produced a storming finish in the midlands.

David McGivney's first half goal helped St Columba's into a 1-8 to 0-7 interval lead.

When the action recommenced Loman's were much improved with Heslin drilling a vital goal from a penalty.

Loman's will face Simonstown Gaels at the semi-final stage as Colm O'Rourke's outfit proved too strong for Starlights at Innovate Wexford Park.

Seanie Tobin scored a goal for Simonstown, while Padraig McKeever was also prominent for the Meath champions.

Official Sponsors of the GAA Football All-Ireland Championship

Official Sponsors of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Championship

Live Competitions