PwC GAA/GPA Gaelic Football All Stars announced
The PwC GAA/GPA All-Star Football team was announced live on Friday night, with All-Ireland champions Dublin dominating the selection with seven places on the final 15 – ahead of Mayo’s six awards. Tyrone and Kerry collected one place each.
Mayo shot stopping king David Clarke again held off the challenge of Stephen Cluxton to claim the goalkeeping position.
Chris Barrett from Mayo and Dublin’s Michael Fitzsimons are first time All-Stars in a full back line completed by Mayo’s Keith Higgins, who picks up a fourth award.
Mayo’s Colm Boyle is now a four-time All-Star after his selection on a half back line completed by Dublin heroes Cian O’Sullivan and Jack McCaffrey.
In midfield, Tyrone’s Colm Cavanagh follows in the footsteps of older brother Seán by joining the prestigious All-Star club after he was selected alongside Dublin powerhouse James McCarthy.
On the half forward line, Aidan O’Shea has been chosen for a third All-Star and marks the perfect send off for the Mayo man as he flies out as captain of the International Rules team.
Dublin’s third straight Sam Maguire triumph sees them take three of the six forward slots on offer with Dean Rock, Con O’Callaghan and Paul Mannion all chosen. Andy Moran and Kerry sharp shooter Paul Geaney complete the formation.
Uachtarán CLG Aogán Ó Fearghail said: “My congratulations to all of the PwC GAA/GPA All-Stars for 2017 – the heroes who lit up yet another thrilling season in hurling and football, and who have now been given the honour of being called the best of the best.
“This is a special award that will stand the test of time and is due recognition of your excellence this season. Our thanks is due to all of our players who set such high standards through their commitment and dedication."
Dermot Earley, GPA Chief Executive commented: "It is a huge honour to be recognised as one of the best 15 hurlers or footballers in the country and I would like to applaud all of those who have been rewarded for their hard work throughout the 2017 season and indeed throughout their careers.
"The PwC All-Stars is the most coveted award scheme in the country and I know all award recipients will treasure this recognition long after they have hung up their boots."
Commenting on the announcement, Feargal O'Rourke, Managing Partner, PwC, said: "As the new sponsor of the PwC All-Stars, we are delighted to share in this celebration of excellence in young Irish talent. Being the best you can be is very much at the core of our business and is also central to winning on the pitch. We are very proud that several GAA County players, some who are previous All-Star winners, have come through our graduate programme to develop very successful careers with us.
"I would like to congratulate every PwC All-Star Award nominee this evening for their huge commitment and hard work."
THE 2017 PwC ALL-STAR FOOTBALL TEAM
1. David Clarke (Mayo). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2016
2. Chris Barrett (Mayo). First-time winner.
3. Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin). First-time winner.
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo). Four-time All-Star. Previously won in 2012/’13/’14
5. Colm Boyle (Mayo). Four-time All-Star. Previously won in 2013/’14/’16
6. Cian O’Sullivan (Dublin). Three-time All-Star. Previously won in 2013 & 2015
7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2015
8. Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone). First-time All-Star
9. James McCarthy (Dublin). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2014
10. Dean Rock (Dublin). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2016
11. Aidan O’Shea (Mayo). Three-time All-Star. Previously won in 2013 & 2015
12. Con O’Callaghan (Dublin). First-time All-Star
13. Paul Mannion (Dublin). First-time All-Star
14. Paul Geaney (Kerry). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2016
15. Andy Moran (Mayo). Two-time All-Star. Previously won in 2011