Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
Ryan Burns netting a goal for Louth against Laois at Croke Park.
Ryan Burns netting a goal for Louth against Laois at Croke Park.

Saturday's Allianz FL D3 round-up

Allianz Football League Division Three



Louth got their first win of Division 3 in the Allianz Football League when they defeated the 14-men of Laois, 3-8 to 1-9, at Croke Park.

Ryan Burns scored 2-3 for Wayne Kierans’ side who held a 3-4 to 1-6 advantage at half-time. The other Louth goal arrived courtesy of Conor Early.

Ross Munnelly scored 1-6 for Laois, who had Kieran Lillis sent-off after 20 minutes, and they never recovered as they fell to their first defeat.

Laois claimed an impressive 2-15 to 1-12 victory away to Down in Round 1, but a poor first half display cost them dearly.

Munnelly actually opened the scoring from a free early on, but Burns hit back and Louth began to take control.

And in the eighth minute Early found the net. Sam Mulroy gave the pass and the Louth midfielder powered through the defence before he finished past Graham Brody.

Moments later Burns scored his first goal. He palmed another Mulroy assist to the back of the net. 

In the 14th minute Burns doubled his tally. His goal-bound shot was foot-blocked by Stephen Attride, and Burns stepped up to score the resultant penalty.

Mulroy was again involved when Lillis got sent-off for an off the ball incident soon after that and Louth were in real trouble.

But Early got a black card before half-time. Then Anthony Williams fouled Colm Murphy and referee Barry Tiernan awarded a penalty to Laois. Munnelly scored the goal and his side only trailed by 3-4 to 1-6 at half-time.

Louth’s one-man advantage was the difference in the end and they remained out of reach in the second half. 

Conal McKeever nearly added another Louth goal, but Brody produced a great save to keep Laois in the game. 

Louth were reduced to 14 men again when Andy McDonnell got black but they held strong and clung on for a crucial win.

In the other Division 3 tie on Saturday Westmeath earned a 1-10 to 2-7 draw with Carlow after a late comeback from the home side at Cusack Park in Mullingar.

Carlow were 1-6 to 1-4 ahead at half-time. Finbar Coyne and Darragh O’Brien traded goals. 

Kieran Martin was sent-off in the 43rd minute and 15 minutes later Brendan Murphy’s goal looked to be a game winning score for Carlow, but Westmeath responded. 

Lee Walker got red with 12 minutes remaining and two late points from Ger Egan ensured Westmeath remain undefeated.

Official Sponsors of the GAA Football All-Ireland Championship

Official Sponsors of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Championship

Live Competitions