Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
Ciaran Sheehan struck for a goal as Cork overpowered Leitrim.
Ciaran Sheehan struck for a goal as Cork overpowered Leitrim.

Round-up: Sunday's Allianz FL D3 and D4 action

Allianz Football League Division Three

Cork 1-15 Leitrim 0-9

Tipperary 0-11 Louth 1-7

Offaly 0-10 Longford 0-10

Allianz Football League Division Four

Sligo 0-15 Antrim 0-14

Limerick 0-8 London 0-7

Wicklow 2-11 Waterford 1-6

Ciarán Sheehan scored the only goal as Cork claimed back-to-back victories in Division Three of the National Football League.

The Rebels were comprehensive 1-15 to 0-9 winners against Leitrim at Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada while Tipperary secured their first success when they won in Louth and Offaly and Longford finished level

Cork look set for promotion right back to Division Two having defeated Offaly and Leitrim in the opening rounds of the 2020 campaign.

Sheehan scored 1-2 with Luke Connolly accounting for 0-5 in Carrick-on-Shannon, where Cork held a 1-7 to 0-3 lead and were already well on their way to victory.

Leitrim impressed in Round 1 where they came within minutes of a shock victory away to Derry in Celtic Park. And Keith Beirne scored a free to give them the lead in the fourth minute.

However, Sheehan equalised three minutes later and Cork raced into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead with Cathail O’Mahony piling on the pressure. They went 0-5 to 0-2 up when John O’Rourke scored in the 26th minute but the crucial goal arrived ten minutes later.

Leitrim were still well in the game just before half-time only for Sheehan to finish to the net. Thomas Clancy added a point and Cork were seven points clear at the interval.

Leitrim showed wonderful endeavour in Derry but the comeback never came this time around, and Connolly’s fifth point finished things off.

Tipperary went down to 14 players against Down in their opening fixture, and were lucky to leave with a draw. But their 0-11 to 1-7 victory in Drogheda was well-deserved.

The visitors started fast with Conor Sweeney pushing them into a 0-2 to 0-0 lead, but they wouldn’t score again in the half as Louth took a 0-5 to 0-2 lead into half-time.

Three minutes into the second half Tipperary looked in real trouble when Tommy Durnin found the net. Louth were six points in front at that stage.

But Tipperary fought back, and took the unlikely win after four minutes of added-time.

Longford had a 0-6 to 0-5 lead at half-time but they couldn’t make it two-from-two in the League as it finished level.

Longford had taken a two-point lead late on, through Dessie Reynolds, but Ruairi McNamee and Niall Darby combined to rescue a point.

Paddy O'Connor continues to impress for Sligo.
Paddy O'Connor continues to impress for Sligo.

Paul Taylor’s Sligo remain on top in Division Four of the Allianz National Football League after they secured a narrow win at home to Antrim.

Paddy O’Connor scored 0-6 for the Connacht outfit who registered their second success of the campaign. Limerick are the only other team on two wins after their victory over London, while Wicklow were comfortable winners against Waterford.

Sligo, who were relegated from Division Three last year, won their first game in 18 months last weekend when they hammered London in Ruislip. It was an emphatic success while this one at home in Markievicz Park went right to the death.

Sligo held a narrow 0-9 to 0-8 lead at half-time. O’Connor opened the scoring in the first minute before Patrick Cunningham equalised. Those two points set the tone, as the teams went score-for-score for the rest of the half.

Conor Murray put Antrim into a late 0-8 to 0-7 lead but O’Connor and Darragh Cummins both scored as the first half came to a close.

Red Óg Murphy scored first on the resumption but Cunningham hit right back for Antrim, with neither being able to mount a decisive lead.

But Sligo were a couple of points in front late on and Antrim were left to chase the game. And even though Red Óg Murphy was sent-off the home side held on.

Elsewhere, Limerick were also narrow winners on Sunday and they remain alongside Sligo at the summit after their 0-8 to 0-7 victory over a resurgent London at Rathkeale.

The hosts were only 0-4 to 0-3 in front after a low-scoring first half in the early throw-in.

And after half-time Limerick kept their noses in front with Jamie Lee (two), Danny Neville and Seamus O’Carroll scoring to earn a precious win.

Wicklow claimed an important 2-11 to 1-6 win against Waterford at the County Ground in Aughrim.

And Wicklow were 0-8 to 1-1 in front at half-time. Eoin Darcy scored their first goal afterwards, with Chris O’Brien finishing off the second in a comfortable win.

Official Sponsors of the GAA Football All-Ireland Championship

Official Sponsors of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Championship

Live Competitions