Fáilte chuig gaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil CLG
David Gleeson celebrates after scoring a goal for Tipperary against Limerick in the Bord Gáis Energy Munster Hurling semi-final. 

David Gleeson celebrates after scoring a goal for Tipperary against Limerick in the Bord Gáis Energy Munster Hurling semi-final.

BGE Munster U-21 Hurling: Tipp dethrone Limerick

Bord Gáis Energy Munster U-21 Hurling semi-final


By Daragh Small at Semple Stadium

David Gleeson’s goal copper-fastened victory for Tipperary as the reigning Munster and All-Ireland U-21 champions Limerick were dethroned at Semple Stadium in Thurles this evening. 

Gleeson’s goal arrived nine minutes after half-time, where Tipperary had held a 0-13 to 0-5 lead in front of 3,460.

Limerick could have been in touch at the break but Barry Murphy missed a penalty just beforehand, and their late goal from Kevin Howard was only a consolation. 

Limerick also had their captain Kyle Hayes sent-off for two bookable offences, as Liam Cahill’s side advanced to face Cork in the decider. 

Tipperary made a fast start and raced into a 0-4 to 0-0 lead after just seven minutes. Jerome Cahill scored their first point in the fourth minute, and further points followed from Brian McGrath (free) and Jake Morris (two).

Tipperary senior star Morris reverted to the half-forward line and caused trouble there, while his Limerick counter-parts found it difficult to get into the game. Seamus Flanagan was uncharacteristically quiet.

But Brian Ryan and Conor Boylan ate into the Tipperary lead, halving it, before Tipperary scored another four unanswered points between the 11th and 18th minutes.

Colin English and Kehoe both accounted for two each, before Barry Murphy registered his first point. Ger Browne and Murphy traded points thereafter, but Tipperary always looked more comfortable.

They went on another four-point blitz with Kehoe scoring twice, while Morris and McGrath added to their tallies. Willie O’Meara hit back for Limerick and they almost grabbed a crucial penalty goal before the break.

But after he earned the penalty, when fouled by Killian O’Dwyer, Murphy blasted his shot off Ciarán Barrett’s crossbar and the ball was cleared to safety.

Limerick had their chances in the second half but they result was put beyond doubt as early as the 39th minute when McGrath’s clearance was collected by Gleeson as he finished low past Jamie Power in the Limerick goal.

Limerick were always going to come with a late drive and their substitutes contributed 1-3 with Howard’s goal arriving in the second minute off added time.

But Hayes had already been sent-off for a second yellow, when he connected with Cian Flanagan.

Scorers for Tipperary: Mark Kehoe 0-5, Lyndon Fairbrother 0-3 (0-3f), Brian McGrath 0-3 (0-3f), David Gleeson 1-0, Jake Morris 0-3, Colin English 0-3, Ger Browne 0-2, Jerome Cahill 0-1, Cian Darcy 0-1, Darragh Woods 0-1

Scorers for Limerick: Brian Murphy 0-4 (0-3f), Kevin Howard 1-0, Micheal Houlihan 0-2 (0-2f), Paddy O’Loughlin 0-2 (0-2f), Brian Ryan 0-1, Conor Boylan 0-1, Willie O’Meara 0-1, Oisin O’Reilly 0-1, Peter Casey 0-1 (0-1f)

TIPPERARY: Ciarán Barrett; Podge Campion, Brian McGrath, Killian O’Dwyer; Cian Flanagan, Paddy Cadell, Dillon Quirke; Ger Browne, Colin English; Jake Morris, Paudie Feehan, Jerome Cahill; David Gleeson, Mark Kehoe, Lyndon Fairbrother. Subs: Cian Darcy for Fairbrother (51), Craig Morgan for Quirke (53) Darragh Woods for Gleeson (56), Conor Stakelum for Cahill (58), Michael Purcell for Flanagan (61).

LIMERICK: Jamie Power; Brian Timmons, Josh Adams, John Flynn; Willie O’Meara, Kyle Hayes, Thomas Grimes; Paddy O’Loughlin, Mike Mackey; Brian Ryan, Barry Murphy, Conor Boylan; Peter Casey, Seamus Flanagan, Mark O’Dwyer. Subs: Darren O’Connell for O’Dwyer (half-time), Oisin O’Reilly for Flanagan (42), Micheal Houlihan for Ryan (43), Kevin Howard for Mackey (48), Brian O’Grady for Murphy (52).

Referee: Rory McGann (Clare).