GAA National Inclusive Family Week 23.09.2023
On the week of the 23rd of September 2023, the GAA invites all clubs to open their doors to the wider community and support GAA National Inclusive Family Week. 2023 NIFW theme is "GAA Healthy Families". #GAAClann. The event falls during the European Week of Sport (23rd – 30th September) and aims to promote sport, physical and healthy lifestyle activity to everyone regardless of age, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, nationality, or fitness level.
European Week of Sport will take place this year from 23rd - 30th September for the 9th year. The #BeActive campaign promotes an active and healthy lifestyle for all ages and for everybody. 2023 European Week of Sport will see events in 40 countries with millions of people getting to participate in sport and physical activity.
Inclusion means people having a sense of belonging, of being comfortable in being part of something they value. Diversity means being aware of, accommodating, and celebrating differences.
GAA Diversity and Inclusion officer Ger McTavish explains: “Inclusion is about making a difference. Inclusivity is a movement, a move to include. Being truly inclusive is living our GAA motto, ‘Where we all Belong’. “This work takes many forms. It ranges from ensuring that our policies and practices support the cultural integration and social inclusion of people from across Ireland’s diverse ethnic population, to making sure that all Gaelic games are adapted for people with different abilities.”
A simple 6 Steps process, including access to all necessary resources, has been developed for clubs interested in participating in the GAA’s National Inclusive Family Week, a process that will also support their journey in becoming a more inclusive club.
1. Your club must register online by September 23rd here
2. Sign up to CARA Sport Inclusion Disability Charter here
3. Share the GAA inclusive club policies and resources found on this webpage in your club
4. Hold an Inclusive Healthy Family activity at your GAA Club during the week of September 23rd. Some examples of activities are ALL Stars teams blitzes, Dads & Lads recreational blitzes, Intercultural activities, GAA Generational story telling, Fun & Run, Active Bingo, Rounders and Handball.
5. Share a video or pictures of your activity on social media using #GAABelong & #BeActive.
For more information from your Local Sports Inclusion Disability Officer https://www.sportireland.ie/participation/sports-inclusion-disability-officers
For more information on the European Week of Sport https://www.sportireland.ie/europeanweekofsport
For supplier information on Fun and Run packs