Get Ireland Walking
Walking is the easiest way to get moving, get active and get happy, and Get Ireland Walking is here to help you get started:
The aim of this strategy is to engage and bring together a variety of partners to increase physical activity levels of our population through walking and walking related activities. A collective approach and innovative thinking will support the implementation of this plan with clear roles and objectives for all our collaborators. We aim to add value to already existing services that promote walking and connect all other organisations to maximise on our actions and objectives.
If you're finding it hard to get off the sofa or to get worries out of your head, the answer is simpler than you think: Walking. It's the easiest way to get moving, get active and get happy. You don't need any gear, or to pay any fees - you just need to commit time and effort throughout your week.
Ways to help you get started:
- Start a life-changing habit today: Try the 21 Day Walking Challenge. The goal is to walk actively just five times a week for 30 minutes each time.
- Available list of walking groups and local sports partnerships that you can search by map and by county. We can also direct you to partner organisations where you can search for tails and walking events in your area.
Get Ireland Walking exists to maximise the number of people walking in Ireland for their health, wellbeing and fitness.
Want to feel better, have more energy and perhaps even live longer?
Are you one of 1 in 3 Irish people who are active on a regular basis?
The health benefits of regular physical activity are hard to overlook. And the benefits of exercise are yours for the taking, regardless of your age, sex or physical ability.
Health Benefits Facts:
- Did you know if are regularly active, you are reducing your risk of developing 35 chronic diseases.
- Physical activity can add years to your life
- Physical activity improves quality of your life
- Helps you maintain a healthy weight
- Helps you manages stress better
- Improves your quality of sleep
- Builds muscle tone
- Boost your self-esteem
- Makes you feel great!
Start walking today - it's a first step to feeling good. Start of slowly and gradually build up your pace. Once you start to walk at a brisk pace regularly, you'll be amazed at how much you can do and how good it makes you feel.
Nothing beats walking to lift your spirits, get active, or for spending quality time with friends and family. The great thing about walking is that you can try it out straight away: to help you get started, here are some quick-start guides that you can read now, or print out for motivation later.