The Award 1 Coach Education course is the second award on the coaching pathway of Gaelic Games. The course is aimed at coaches that have progressed through the Foundation Award and have experience as a coach.
The Award 1 course has been designed to take account of the different playing capacities that exist between children (up to 12 years), youths (age 13 – 18) and Adults (age 19+) and the competencies that a coach is required to display when working with each of the playing populations. Therefore, coaches can specialise in coaching the particular players that they are involved with.
The course is 16 hours in duration and covers a number of key modules including:
- Technical Proficiency
- Tactical Prowess
- Team Play
- Physical Fitness
- Playing Facts
- Psychological Focus
The focus of the course is the further development of the ‘How to Coach’ skills by placing the participant in situations that they will face as coaches – the organisation of games activities, activities to develop skill and activities to develop the various aspects of physical fitness.
Coaching Competencies to be developed
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Organise a programme of games and skill development activities appropriate to each participant's needs and abilities
- Organise progressive activities (drills and fun games) to develop five key skills
- Organise progressive activities to develop movement skills appropriate to Gaelic Games
- Organise and manage players for an effective practice session
- Build Rapport, Observe, Analyse, Explain, Provide Demonstration and Provide Positive Feedback to Players
- Understand the course philosophy
The GAA is committed to implementing an integrated Coach Education Programme with a view to maximising participation, optimising playing standards and ensuring that players’ needs are catered for in a balanced way.
The course is designed to promote the development of the How to Coach skills through modelling of best practice, as demonstrated by the tutor, experiential learning and through the guided reflection on previous experiences – as a coach, player, official or parent – facilitated by the tutor.
Attending a Course
The Award 1 courses are organised locally within each County. To view upcoming courses in your County or to reserve a place on a course, visit the GAA Coach Education website.