Transfers & Sanctions
IMPORTANT NOTCE: Sanction Insurance
GAA players who are travelling to the U.S.A. or Canada for the summer must receive a sanction to allow them play on a temporary basis with clubs in these areas. A decision of Ard Chomhairle in 2012 made it compulsory for all players to obtain insurance cover from the GAA before a sanction to the U.S.A. or Canada can be granted.
This insurance cover costs €40 and sanctions will no longer be processed going forward unless this insurance has been purchased, and receipt of purchase is submitted with a sanction application.
Therefore, players who wish to receive a sanction to the U.S.A. or Canada (or a weekend authorisation in the case of New York) will need to purchase this sanction insurance at www.gaa.ie/sanctioninsurance where the €40 fee can be paid by Laser, Visa or Mastercard.
After completion the player will receive a receipt by email. If the sanction request is submitted by post, this receipt must be printed out and attached to the request; alternatively if the sanction is submitted by email this receipt must accompany the sanction form.
Where an individual is not in a position to register online, postal or money orders to the value of €40 can be attached to postal requests.
The read a summary of sanctions cover for the USA and Canada, please click here.
Purchase Insurance Online - Steps
1) Visit gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/14765/to-purchase-sanction-insurance-please-click-buy-tickets-croke-park-dublin-21-July-2013
2) Click on 'Buy tickets'
3) You can ignore the selected location 'Hogan', this is simply for administrative purposes
4) The delivery method 'Box Office Collection' is, again, stated for administrative purposes. You will not need to collect anything, you just need your email confirmation as proof of purchase
5) You will receive a confirmation e-mail, please print this off and attach it along with the sanction form
6) Send this form to your Club and County Secretaries for their approval and your County Secretary will send it to Croke Park
All sanctions can be viewed by clicking on the relevant tabs at the left hand side of this page once approved.
NB - The reference number is the unique identifier for insurance policies and not the payee. The insurance purchased does not have to be in the name of the person who purchased it, however, the confirmation e-mail must be printed out and attached along with the sanction application.
J1 Sanctions for Inter-County Players
A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year’s Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the North American County Board Jurisdiction.
Exception: A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year’s Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or meets the eligibility requirements to obtain a J1 Visa, and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction in duplicate, signed by his Club Secretary, the County Secretary and the Director General (or other designated person), may be accepted for registration.The J1 Visa concerned with this exception is the J1 work and travel Programme visa only – i.e. the four month Visa for 3rd Level Students.
To find out who is eligible to receive this visa, visit: http://www.j1online.ie/how-to-apply/j1-visa-requirements Croke Park must be furnished with proof of eligibility before a J1 sanction application will be considered.
- Information relating to Club transfers can be found in the Official Guide 2012, Part 1.
- For information pertaining to Club transfers within a County, please contact your County Board.
- For information pertaining to Club transfers within a Province, please contact the Provincial Council you are transferring to.
- For information pertaining to Club transfers Inter-Provincially, please click on the relevant year and then month in the sub navigation of this section of the site.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a list of FAQs relating to transfers and sanctions, please click here.
Below is a list of transfer, sanction and authorisation forms. Please download the appropriate one: